Custom build campervan companies in france

hi all,

I am looking to move to SW france permanently in the next year or so, and planning on getting a custom build campervan conversion done on a french van (peugeot expert, citroen jumpy base, something like that). in the UK there are a whole load of companies that offer a custom conversion service. are there many in france? i could buy the van in france then get it converted in the UK but I’m not sure of the vehicle conformity of that?

w.

There’s been discussions on hear before about campervan conversations (use the search facility), but you would probably save yourself a whole load of grief buying a ready made and registered camping car in France

Yep! If you must have one, at least buy one that is already clogging up the roads, and not introduce yet another… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

well, you are already “unsure”… so why not remove all uncertainty and buy something already conforming in France… as has been suggested … :rofl: :+1: :wink:

there will be enough challenges to be met… if you are seriously thinking of a permanent move to France… so no need to deliberately take any more on board…

and…to answer your question about companies in France… yes, there are French companies which sell ready-done… and/or will do a custom job… I’ve noticed them on our travels.
Google can be your friend, if no-one comes along with contacts… :wink:

1 Like

Welcome @whatsisname
What are you hoping to achieve with plan?
The idea is ok but the practicalities are problematic as you would have to aquire a certificate of conformity which is a massive hurdle to overcome.
As has been already said there are many mainstream European companies who van conversions. They are ridiculously expensive compared to camping cars but I suppose their attraction is the compactness.
Converting a van yourself or having it done in the UK would mean stripping it back to its original state every time a CT (MOT) was needed.

Welcome to Survive France, @whatsisname !

We had a micro caravan built on a substantial trailer base but that is obviously not what you are wanting. I would echo what he others are saying - in particular the advice to wait until you’ve jumped the (extensive) hurdles involved in taking up residence here. I can definitely say that that can be a lot of stress so adding more at that point could be really awful. However, you may be considerably more robust than we are so I would like to wish you all the best and a warm welcome to France for when you get here :smiley:

There’s a shop called passion camping-car on the south Bergerac bypass which has zillions of them, all different sizes.

2 Likes

Passion camping cars website appears to be under construction but i found them here (with contact details etc)

2 Likes

There’s at least one that I know of.

thanks for the responses everyone. I would love to buy a pre made campervan, it would certainly make things much simpler, but unfortunately I have some mobility issues and need something made to meet my requirements. the usual campervan layout won’t work for me.

what I am unsure of and struggling to find out so far, is what level of customization starts to cause a problem for control technique? eg biggest change will probably be adding a pop top. in the uk this isn’t a problem, but I know things are different in france.

I lived in france for 4 years some time ago. can’t wait to move back.

why not contact some of the French companies and ask their advice about what is and is not possible…

2 Likes

Indeed. “Up to a point, Lord Copper”

There is a level of conversion which will go thru’ the C.T. I had a brief word about this when I C.T’d my car. Not sure what that level is but one way of finding out is to do as below and keep removing bits - or offering up photos at various stages - until it passes.

Having never completed the full-on conversion of my L3/H3 Renault Master when it was UK reg’d but had it in a state that was a bedroom on wheels, I intend to do much the same to my latest van, a Trafic. I found that I was quite well set using ‘shore facilities’ and camping kit.

Have shore-power, will casserole … Induction hob. No messing with that dodgy gas stuff.

I will build a modular rig which can be stripped down as necc for C.T. There won’t be much more than a bed and storage and camping gear. It shouldn’t be difficult or involve too much sucking of teeth at the C.T.

But I do agree with the suggestions made by @Stella and others. From the sound of it you will be best served by buying a ready-to-roll vehicle with maybe some mods to suit your particular needs. A fully bespoke vehicle is certainly possible. Just stand clear as your wallet explodes.

Shouldnt that be implodes?
What are they likely to check on a CT that might fall foul of the test? A friend had trouble because he had changed the seating.

I think that one also has to be careful re Insurance for a modified vehicle. If it’s done professionally in France, it will conform to all aspects… and should not give any hiccups if anything adverse happens and one needs to call upon the Insurers to cough-up.

Yes thats why the french new houses are only a choice of 3. Garage to the left, garage to the right or garage around the back. Boring boring boring.

1 Like

one can always choose “custom build” :wink: there are many companies which offer this service… in France.

1 Like

I can imagine that might be a problem if the seats were not installed on certified bases.

I was told that I would have trouble if I presented my 307SW with the rear seats removed. In fact, as Mark Rimmer told me, the C.T. would simply say “Rear seats not tested because not present”. And that was the case.

As for seating in my Trafic, I will remove the double pax bench and replace with a single, as in my Movano. [aka Master]. Bases for both seats use the same installation bolts/holes in the floor.

The trick is to make sure that the absent seat’s airbag/seat-belt tensioner wiring does not set off the airbag warning light, which is an MoT/CT fail. There’s a simplefix for this.

This may well become an issue, depending on the level of mods. Installation of gas cooking/heating would defo be a biggie. I’m steering clear of any installed gas kit.

And only one choice of paint - that cream/yellow

2 Likes

Similar, the van came with 1 pasenger seat. The UK dealer fitted a genuine Mercedes bench seat to the factory supplied bolt holes but the robotic french CT man could not compute the change and needed re booting.

Up the fundament, perhaps ! :smile:

1 Like

My house is a good example of one which would be best torn down and rebuilt with plans from just such a company.