Daily Recipes

Simple Chicken Supper.
I love summer in France, but the only thing that makes me a teeny bit sad is that I have to switch of my beloved Aga off. It is the epicentre of my Foodie life, and sometimes I love it more than my OH. (Please don’t worry, he knows this and understands)
It makes sense really. We all tend to move towards lighter cooking duties during the warmer months. For days on end I sometimes just boil a pan full of new seasons’ potatoes to go with yet another salad that I have drawn up.( Although I need to work on that Rice Krispie, onion and chorizo combo before I serve it up).
I found a one pot chicken dish in Jamie Oliver’s at Home book and find it perfect for a large crowd with a salad and of course, copious amounts of French bread.
I wrote about it on my blog, and here’s what I said.
I have written the ingredients list out below, just in case you don’t have the book, although you will see from the blog post that I NEVER follow a recipe. Enjoy, or as they say in these parts, profitez-en!
(For 4)
880g NEW POTATOES, SCRUBBED
SEA SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
12 CHICKEN THIGHS
OLIVE OIL
600 TOMATOES - HE SUGGESTS A MIX
BUNCH OF OREGANO
RED WINE VINEGAR

I don’t use courgette in mine. I fry everything down - first aubergine, then onions and peppers until brown and yummy then chuck the fresh tomatoes on with loads of garlic and fresh herbs preferably (including parsley). I prefer courgette in courgette soup where it is divine.

Meat Pie.
HA HA - I thought that would catch the British eye!
Actually its a French version (of course) called TOURTE A LA VIANDE.
It’s from, ironically a site called FOODBUZZ, where I also contribute. It has a strong American bias, but there is a fantastic cultural array of recipes on there. (And some from me as well).
Anyway, try this one out, and here’s the recipe.

Caramelised Garlic Tart.
New garlic is now available in the local markets and has the sweetest flavour when roasted, so unlike the fried version.
Have a look at this recipe that I came across this morning

Ratatouille - How do you make yours?
I go with the Hugh Fearnley WHittingstall method and cook the veggies in separate pans to avoid a mush. Fiddly, but worth the extra effort - Make a lot (its hard not to) and freeze some. I cheat and add a jar of pre -peeled roasted peppers and the end and use herbes de provence rather than basil - I also use any tomatoes that I have. Try and slowly cook for a little while longer once the vegetables have been combined - better still, leave overnight for the flavours to meld.
Here’s the recipe

Brilliant, and looks wonderful.
Thank you.

Strawberry and Rosewater Ice Cream.

In short, this is heavenly. If you don't like the idea of rosewater, just leave it out. For vanilla ice cream, follow the custard making process in the recipe and freeze that alone.

Strawberries and cream are the quintessential British dessert, and I have combined those evocative flavours of summer with one of my favourite ingredients – Rosewater.

As an unashamed collector of kitchen gadgetry, I do own an ice cream maker (the one with the inbuilt chiller unit).
However the recipe can be made using a domestic freezer, with a bit of patience.

INGREDIENTS.
500G HULLED STRAWBERRIES.
5TBS ROSEWATER
8OOML OF FRESH DOUBLE CREAM AND MILK COMBINED (AT A PROPORTION OF AT LEAST 50/50 – I WAS A LITTLE HEAVY HANDED WITH THE CREAM AND USED 600 ML)
150G VANILLA SUGAR
8 EGG YOLKS (I USED ORGANIC)
1TBSP OF CORNFLOUR.

METHOD.

1. Hull and cut up the strawberries into quarters. Lay on a plate and sprinkle with the rosewater.Leave to infuse for at least one hour at room temperature. Stir occasionally to amalgamate the rosewater thoroughly.
  2. In the meantime prepare the custard. Add vanilla sugar, cornflour and egg yolks to a deep bowl. Beat until mixed well.
    (I use cornflour to minimise the risk of splitting the custard – other methods include the use of a double boiler, or having a sink full of cold water nearby to plunge the mixture into in the event of disaster – Cornflour is the simplest way. Honestly.)
  3. Slowly heat up the cream and milk in a saucepan until it is considering its ascent up the pan sides to come to a full boil. BEFORE this happens, take the pan off the heat and pour into the egg and sugar mixture. Beat the mixture hard.
  4. In a clean saucepan, return the mixture to the heat and gently heat and stir (or beat) until the mixture thickens. Remember here that we are not looking to cut it into polenta like slabs – a gentle thickening to a pouring consistency is sufficient.
  5. Cool the mixture down. Do this by way of some ice in a large bowl placed below the pan, but NEVER in the fridge – this will seriously affect the operating temperature and the other food stored there.
  6. After the strawberries have macerated, purée them in a blender.
  7. To make the ice cream either pour into the ice cream maker and set to churn and freeze, OR pour the mixture into a plastic lidded container and place in the freezer. In this case, the mixture will need to be broken up and mixed a few times during the freezing process in order to reduce the formation of ice crystals in the preparation.
  8. Serve with a few additional strawberries, in cones or wafers or simply on its own. An ice cream maker has the added advantage of allowing you to serve it “semifreddo” – a soft creamy consistency that is a stage between the liquid mixture and the fully frozen result. (see picture in the red bowl)

We had them last night with bbq chicken thighs, tomato and lettuce, Fabulous!

Apart from the goats’ cheese and chilli that is!

Any suggestions for fillings James?

Flour Tortillas

Quick and easy, general purpose bread dough for pizza, flour tortillas, naan etc

I say easy but I do have a Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook!

Ingredients

500 grams bread flour - the basic white stuff will do fine or you can mix in some nice wholemeal flour.

One sachet of dried yeast (levure)

Pinch of salt

Water

Put the flour, salt and yeast into the bowl

Turn on the mixer with the hook attached (slow speed)

Add most of the water and leave it for a couple of minutes, it will
start to form a ball and begin to clean the sides of the bowl after a
while, if it doesn't and it's still crumbly add a bit more water, if
it's too sticky add a bit more flour.

Remove it from the bowl, and place it on a floured surface flattening
it a little, just enough to be able to fold the edges in to the centre
all the way round.

Turn it over and shape it into a nice round ball.

Cover it and leave it until it doubles in size. It's very important not
to knock it or leave it in a draught as it may collapse. I put mine
back in the bowl and covered it with the lid. Depending how warm it is
where you put it it could take anything from a hour to a day to rise. I
put mine near the wood burner, not too close though.

When it has risen, knock it back down on a floured surface again and
pull a chunk off about golf ball size. Roll it flat until it's about
3mm thick. Put a frying pan on to heat up, thicker the better, and you
want it very hot.

Brush the pan with a bit of oil or butter and when it's nearly smoking
chuck in your dough, you'll start to see bubbles forming on top, after
about 45 seconds or when dark brown spots have formed on the underside,
turn it over. Brush the cooked side with a little more oil, the other
side will be done in a few seconds.

Eat it, or store under a tea towel!

I spread a bit of goats cheese and some fresh chilli on mine.

You can keep the remaining dough in the fridge and use it cold whenever you like!

Why not add them under a thread called “Meals in Moments” That we we can have a range of recipe discussions where people can pick and choose.
Or even 'Last night for supper we had…"? Last minute inventions are also worth passing on.

Love this thread already! Will get James to add some recipes as I don’t cook so much as poison people…though I do make excellent bits and bobs quiches! Cx