Dalgliesh anyone?

Years ago I read PD James books and at the time loved them and was more than a little in love with Dalgliesh.
Anyone else watching Dalgliesh on Channel 5? First of all, for me there is only one actor who could play him with the right level of reserve and that’s Ralph Fiennes, but sadly, I found the two episodes of Shroud for a Nightingale a real damp squib - was her plot line really that thin? Or has it been massacred in the adaptation? I daren’t go back to her books in case they have dated badly.

Shame!

Being of a certain age…
We’ve already enjoyed the 80’s/90’s PD James series on TV… with Roy Marsden playing Dalgleish.

We’ve got all the books and all 15 episodes on dvd… we read and re-read… and the dvd’s come out to play every winter…

1 Like

We’re massive fans of Bertie Cavell, so decided to give the new series a go. Sadly we found it almost laughable, especially certain terms of phrasethat simply didn’t fit with the period it’s set in, & the lack of pace.
I have a finger hovering over the “delete series record” button… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well we watched the first episode and the second is recorded. My finger will definitely be hitting the delete function.

1 Like

Such a shame!

Yes that older series was good.

From that era, I’m also currently looking at getting hold of of a copy of the Joan Hickson (not the others) Miss Marple DVD box set as and when I make a visit back to the UK

2 Likes

Well, each to their own, my wife, enjoyed both . Its like All creatures great and small, and the larkins, We all remember originals, fondly, but i like the new james herriot.

1 Like