Damned COVID Statistics

Really? Not round here! In supermarkets and shops, yes. Elsewhere - no.

Everyone has to wear a mask at work. Unless you are working outside or inactif you should have a mask on for most of the day.

2 Likes

Sorry Vero, I didn’t realise. My life these days is outside (except when I’m shopping) I’m pleased to say - hence the lack of masks.

2 Likes

And so it begins??? Cases up 11% in a week. Is France really going to follow the UK trend?
Izzy x

When this started I was watching Ivor Cummings explanations on youtube, whilst I didnt agree with letting it run for the sake of the health services and all their employees, the overwhelming message is a pandemic virus will work its way through the populations all we can do is slow the pace a bit but obviously it then takes longer to go through the populations but it did buy some time for vaccines and other medications to get going.

1 Like

And saved a few thousand lives, due to people being physically protected from Covid until they were vaccinated…

1 Like

Yep, masked all day everyday here too :mask: and I have to enforce the wearing of masks in the shop which causes real hassle with some (had to call the police at one point when things got nasty!)

I’m sorry to hear that Andrew. In most respects I think the French government has done well through the pandemic - and I’m absolutely on board with the mask regulations - but I don’t think its really fair that responsibility falls on business owners.

1 Like

The Guardian today reporting that efficacy of AstraZenica vaccinations, which the UK ‘relied heavily on’, falls below 50% after just 5 months. Surely this is the ‘elephant in the room’ for the high number of UK cases now?

1 Like

Several comments of the like, also that it lasts a bit longer, the cynic in me thinks rumours are put out by the highly profitable Pfizer and others.
A doctor I follow on youtube had his videos taken down after making a comment about Pfizer. Money talks and they look down on philanthropic Oxford AZ.

The AZ vaccine has been used in 120 countries worldwide so it’s not just the UK that might suffer if that is the reason for the spike in case numbers.

Dodgy folk live in Carmaux, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Fortunately, I think the mask wearing is working (although we’ll know more in the next few days/weeks as the figures seem to be rising) so at least I believe in what we have to enforce and the 8m² per customer means a less intense feeling in the shop although when people bang on the window because those inside are taking too long that does change the general calm :rofl:

Yes Carlmt, Carmaux is a social basket case!

Dont try taking the crown from the world beating UK.

1 Like

A couple of people have said this but I can’t find any evidence for it. These are the figures for France (and the UK for comparison) up to yesterday - 7-day rolling average of daily cases, as comparing individual days is obviously pointless). The rate of fall in cases in France is indeed leveling off - but cases are still actually falling! 4,776 yesterday, as opposed to 5,123 a week ago (UK44,442 yesterday).

All the other data looks pretty good to me too - eg. covid deaths in France yesterday 35 (rolling average) as opposed to 42 a week ago (UK over 130 yesterday).

1 Like

Just repeating what I hear on france info, and watching on tf1, francetv, bfm etc. all seem to be saying that the number of contaminations have risen from 4000 to 5000, whilst the UK was quoted as 40.000 (10 times more) but I can’t remember if it was per week/day or what ever :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Worldmeters.com appears to support this.

French new cases are roughly a tenth of those reported for the U.K.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen much television lately - maybe they’re reporting the ‘R’ number? - which was up a tiny amount - but this is an estimate, not hard data - and hasn’t gone up in the last 4 days anyway.

1 Like

It does show cases leveling off, but in the last week, the 7 day moving average on worldometer has increased by just less than 10% from 4251 on 12th Oct to 4648 on 19th Oct. Whether this trend will continue, we will have to see.

I concur with what Andrew said - I listen to France Inter or France Info as I drive to work and back and he has summed up what they have been saying.

1 Like