David Hockney's lockdown paintings of Normandy captivate Parisians

4 Likes

Soooo jealous!! What I’ve missed most in last year is culture!.

I have instantly got tickets for two Parisian friends to go and be our eyes!

3 Likes

My Normandy. From two paces from my front door.

Normandy Dawn

Normandy Evening

Normandy Moon

2 Likes

Thank you Christopher, that is much more to my taste. Beautiful…
Hockney’s work reminded me of walking down the school corridor on a parent’s evening! :grin:

Yes, I follow your drift. I’ve always been a bit ambivalent about Hockney, esp since he left California. His water colours of Yorkshire are in the same vein as the Normandy ones.

However, he is a very interesting person to talk to - or on this occasion, listen to.

He was stuck in this position for about an hour while the photographer I was working with, as his assistant, fiddled with a 10" x 8" camera and the prototype of 10" x 8" Polaroid instant colour print film, along with a crew from Polaroid to get it all working.

I was feeling dreadful with flu, but my boss insisted I be there to supervise the operation of a make of electronic studio flash gear that was very rarely seen in London, being Swiss and ludicrously expensive.

“Just sit on a box and be there if we need you”.

So I spent an hour sitting on a box, exactly where Hockney is looking in Newman’s portrait, while he mused about painting, colour and photography [note the Polaroid camera on a tripod in the painting. He had a period of making collages from Poly prints.]

I do recall it was fascinating at the time but having raging flu I forgot everything he said.

But I still recall his humour and absence of any trace of “Me Hockney Famous Artist”.

1 Like

That’s good to know.
Don’t get me wrong I love art, in fact my first topic on SF was on art, but we all have different tastes which is a good thing , I just prefer your take on Normandy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, he is a good friend of my father’s, they were due to meet up in Paris last March, which obv didn’t happen, and it hasn’t been possible since either.