Declaring impôts online

This thing is driving me nuts.
I get right to the end and when I try to do a mention expresse, it won’t let me proceed because it claims I’ve used “caractères spéciaux” in this rubrique.
I most certainly have not.

Try leaving out all punctuation.

Thanks.
I finally worked out it was the apostrophe that was causing problems (as in l’année). But it was far from obvious.
As I do every year, I also forgot that if you want to add new foreign bank accounts to last year’s list, they ask you how many you want to add.
You indicate, say, 2.
Then a page comes up, labelled No 1 and I always start completing this before I realise, no, they’re first taking me through all the foreign accounts they already know about. And that I shouldn’t start adding the new ones until we get to the end. So my new accounts are actually Nos 5 and 6 or whatever.
Christ, who designs these things?

I’m off to get drunk.

3 Likes

A word of warning to check your apostrophes before doing a Mention Expresse. A clever ex-colleague has just pointed out that some are curly and some are straight and that it was probably using the “wrong” type that prevented me from proceeding to the last page of the tax return. So perhaps not a problem with apostrophes in general.

I had a problem entering my PayPal account, as I have no number, just an email address. It didn’t like the @ or the dot. I then wrote the first part arobase the next bit point country code and it worked!

I would not be surprised if there was!

Do you mean you had to write out in longhand “arobase” and “point”?
This is nuts. How can their software be so bad?

Exactly

A couple of minor points having done the return last week. I had thought that my tax return would be pre-filled with details of interest received from French banks etc. This year (and apologies if this has always been the case) they marked almost in notes form in the sidelines of the relevant page, (paraphrasing ) ‘these are the figures we are aware of,’ - which you then have to enter yourself, directly ,into the relevant boxes.

I also find it slightly frustrating that you have to enter twice in different places the same information - eg foreign pensions, have to be entered in annexe 2047, then again in the main body of the return. Why can’t they code the return software to automatically pick up entries that require double inputting - it would be helpful and more user friendly (and reduce the risk of unintentionally omitting data).

1 Like

“This year (and apologies if this has always been the case) they marked almost in notes form in the sidelines of the relevant page, (paraphrasing ) ‘these are the figures we are aware of,’ - which you then have to enter yourself, directly ,into the relevant boxes.”

I noticed this too and it’s new. In the past, the relevant figures were already entered in the box.

“I also find it slightly frustrating that you have to enter twice in different places the same information - eg foreign pensions, have to be entered in annexe 2047, then again in the main body of the return. Why can’t they code the return software to automatically pick up entries that require double inputting - it would be helpful and more user friendly (and reduce the risk of unintentionally omitting data).”

They do it on purpose. The people who design the procedures are told to make it quite easy to begin with, then a little bit harder, then plant a bug so we have to start again. The developers then bet each other and whoever manages to design the system that creates the most hair tearing receives a big monetary reward from the hair implanting and wig manufacturing industries.

4 Likes

…and the boxes are hard to find because they’re not in alphabetical order!

Wow… seems more straight-forward on Paper… Figures which are already known to Impots… are already marked… all I have to do is either write the exact same figure in the empty box alongside… or write a “corrected” figure in the empty box alongside.

No hunting around for where to put things… thankfully… I can see it all, at a glance. :+1:

I think you’re all much braver than I am… :wink:

1 Like

I’ve almost finished the basic declaration. I was doing OK at the start, but am now having trouble this year with the online version of form 2047. It’s not at all like the paper version.
I could do with a bit of help…
Where should UK pensions go? Is it in “Des revenus de source étrangère imposables aux contributions sociales” ?

UK pensions on 2047 are page 1 section 12. I could not find a reporter button so entered the same figures on 2042.

Thank you everyone for posting your observations as these are really helpful. I was going to post asking if there were any significant changes from last year as I’ve prepared all my figures ready to go in, but it looks as if you’ve preempted me!

Any other differences you’ve noticed?

We hadn’t spotted the box to fill in French bank interest. Can anyone help with where the box is?

Thanks for that Emily. Yesterday I just couldn’t find 2047, let alone Page 1 section 12.
But this morning it just popped up.
All done and dusted now !

Hi again. Add it to the UK interest in Box 2TR. However is it not already pre-populated with your interest reported from the French bank - also in box 2BH? With the social security already deducted in box 2CK.

Or did you manage to get the bank to give you the interest gross with no deductions ?

Thank you. We don’t have any interest on UK accounts.
It is just one Livret A where they used to deduct the tax at source so we are a bit confused.