Declaring on line - how simple is it?

CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST

Last year… our UK pension income was in 1AM and 1BM on line…

this year… the correct boxes are 1AL and 1BL (foreign pension opening a right to …)

that’s as far as I am concerned… phew… the Tax folk like to keep us on our toes… :slight_smile:

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I notice that on the gouv.fr site there is no 2042 or 2042K available to download, just other variations including the 2042C and 2042C (PRO).

I just looked online after logging onto my impots.fr space and the information displayed is quite different for 2019 and 2020. For 2019 I am able to see a complete copy of the 2042. For 2020 I can only see the first part of the 2042 with my home details filled in and a summary of my declaration showing that I have declared €xxx at 2TR and €xxx at 8TK on 2047) plus other income already on the 2042 because it comes from France. I cannot see a copy of the complete 2042 like before but I can see a complete copy of the 2047.
I wonder if this is an attempt to ‘encourage’ people to apply online.

Thank you for posting that. I’d made a copy of your previous post for future reference. I’ve now updated the information. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is so easy to go wrong… I made a right mess of on line last year (no idea why… been doing it for years)… anyway… the Tax lady told me to cancel 2042C and 2047… and put pensions into 1AM AND 1BM… also tick/cross 20P… and all the rubbish faded and all was well…

thus I thought it was OK for this year… but no way… aaargh.
having read and reread the small print this year…and am confident it is 1AL and 1BL…

and as I finally crossed/ticked 20P last year… that bit, at least should hold good ad infinitum…

but who knows… life has its challenges … but … at least we are in France… :hugs:

@ Stella - Without having to go back into my tax form, could you please say what 2OP is and what difference it makes by ticking it. Thank you.

20P is a choice on how you will be taxed against income on investments… (roughly)

It must be ticked if your total tax is usually zero or you pay lower levels of tax …

We had intended to declare online this year, but the computer is’stuck’ with the techie man for the foreseeable future :slightly_frowning_face: Snail mail again this year, but too slow under the circumstances so will go and pop it into their postbox.

Copied over from my other thread :

Referring to Connexions Tax Guide Update there is this :slight_smile:
Foreign ‘tax credit’ income

If you have foreign income that generated a tax credit equal to the French tax that would otherwise be due on these, such as UK rental income or government pensions, then the box for inserting the total amount, 8TK, has moved from the main 2042 declaration to the 2042C complementary declaration, in section eight (Divers).

So presumably we download ALL of 2042C, print it out and fill in the personal details and box 8TK and leave the rest blank? Then send all three forms off…

Make things awkward, why not ??? :confounded:

I found it quite straightforward. The form is similar and I think the number and letters are the same as on the form.

Look at the title of this thread. It’s simple online as all the sections of the forms that you need to fill in are generated for you and you are not faced with the problems you describe.

From what I have been told…
There will always be facility for Paper Declarations… and/or face-toface Declaration at the Tax Office… while there are folk who cannot (for one reason or another) do the on-line.

France does not yet insist that a person must tell their private financial information to an unconnected third-party, who will then tap it into a computer for transmission to the Tax Office… :slight_smile: but things might change… and, of course, some folk pay an Accountant to do just that sort of thing…

1 Like

If you want to experiment on-line (to see what your net tax bill might be) you can always calcul de l’impot sur les revenues by using this official site.

My point is that as for most people online declarations are more straightforward and that everyone who uses this site has internet access why are so many people insisting on using paper? People can access the online system and even use the forms without committing to anything. I really can’t understand why people are reluctant to look at the system especially this year when most of us have time on our hands. The system needs people to complete online returns as they are far quicker, easier and cheaper to process and will result in fewer errors.
It’s also worth reminding people that if you are declaring foreign income that income should be declared on 2047 before being transferred to the correct version of 2042. Online this is done with one click.
Online applications can be edited after that have been declared and do not need to be compiled and posted. How much easier could it be?

3 Likes

Hi David…

You have obviously not read last year’s threads… on Declarations… :roll_eyes: :relaxed: :relaxed:

I haven’t but I’m responding to the current situation, the problems that people are experiencing in 2020.

Same problems… :wink: :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No they are not. There are very specific problems this year.
Encouraging people to use paper forms because you can get away with it is not helping the situation.
I would love to know why people are afraid of declaring online. It is so straightforward these days I can’t understand people who won’t even look at it before rejecting it out of hand.

There were specific problems last year, makes no difference in the grand scheme of things. Some people prefer to use the paper forms, it’s no big deal. I’ll be doing ours online and probably still cock it up!

If we moved to France permanently in March 2019 - is this year our first declaration?

HOW TO DECLARE YOUR TAX ONLINE.pdf (3.6 MB) HELP TAX FORM 2020.pdf (133.5 KB)
Also posted in Latest Topics of Interest France thread.

8 Likes