Declaring on line - how simple is it?

I’m about to declare on line for the first time. how simple is it ? Are the same boxes on line as on the paper version ? I normally fill in 2047 and 2042. Are these the same on line ?

Thanks

Hi John… I have not seen the on-line form available to me… as yet. Forms should be the same…

Your details will probably be filled-in already and all you will need to do is amend where necessary… take a look and see.

However, if I remember correctly… there is the usual full explanation, available to look at.

this “explanation” used to come every year with the paper form to fill in…

It’s a bit of a how long is a bit of string question. For me who only has to input two pieces of information it’s simplicity itself. I have a U.K. government pension and U.K. bank interest to declare. That is easily done on the 2047 which is then electronically transferred to the 2042. I can easily look back at my previous years’ 2042s to check that all looks good. As Stella has pointed out all my personal details are already in place and my overseas bank account information all filled in and ready to go too. I have completed my return and received an email confirming that but can go back and make alterations if necessary for a couple of months.
People with more complicated income streams will have more to do but that would be true for the paper forms as well.
For me it’s the only way to go.

If this is the first time don’t forget to generate the forms for non French bank accounts- I think it’s 3916 . One for each account. But in following years the forms will be attached to your tax form so you don’t need to re fill them just generate then - if that makes sense!

@flartybarty The great thing to remember is that the Tax Office folk are there to help. (they may well be short staffed, but some contact will be possible online…)

Have a go at doing your Declaration… if you hit a problem you can email them…

good luck…

Thanks to all of you - I’ll have a go in the next couple of weeks (when I’ve plucked up courage). I notice that, having just received the forms yesterday, they only give me until the 14th May to complete them. Obviously a way of forcing more people to complete on line. Oh well, nothing ventured, etc.

You’re right about the people at the tax office. One year I filled in the wrong section to declare “government” pensions in the UK, for which I normally get a credit, and wound up with a €1500 tax bill. But the nice man at the desk sorted it all out - nil €, as usual. Which is why Ive been reluctant to possibly put myself in the same position again.

1 Like

John… filling in the paper form should not be difficult… surely. What else do you have to do ??? :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve just done the online declaration. 2047 didn’t seem to exist as such. I looked for it and finally worked out that for a UK pension (Autres pensions de source étrangère) the figure should go in box 1AM. Not sure though where you put other UK income. The form is partly filled in and simple to use. You can stop half way through and go back to it later.

You have to generate forms 2047 - the red form for foreign income and 3916 - the form for UK bank accounts. You do that from the form 2042 - after the page with details about your family situation a box comes up asking if you need any 'annexes '. That allows you to generate the red form 2047 and the one for bank accounts.

Stella - I’ve no problem with the paper forms (done them in minutes every year) but this year box 8TK seems to be missing from 2042K. I need that to report UK “government” pension. Hence my (enforced) decision to do as they want.

Sue - Exactly - just the reasons why I’ve not done the on;line declaration before. I’d never have known about this but for your posting - thanks.

The online forms are just like the paper forms in that you fill in 2047 for your overseas income then transfer that information to the 2042. You can download guidance information for both.

John… you are not alone…

urgent call from a friend this afternoon… . they’ve received paper forms 2042K and 2047K

“where has 8TK gone to…”

I spent ages trying to talk the forms through with them over the phone…(using very old forms in my files… as a crib sheet)
but it was hopeless as they do not read French… and everything has changed since 2005… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

finally, I’ve suggested they wait… “yes, I know you want to do it today… when did you receive the forms”… “today ?!”… :roll_eyes:

ah well then you have a little time… :joy:

someone will know the answer…

Righto…who knows the answer…??? please

Your friend is quite right - there is no box “8TK” to report the total amount of “Revenus Disposables Ouvraint A Un Credit d’Impot Egal A l’Impot Francais” even though you are directed to section 8 of 2042K from section 6 of 2047K. Is this an error or deliberate ? The point is that 2042 is the actual tax return so 2047 is only used for working out the details. Do we insert the missing box 8TK ourselves ?

Well my answer would - has anyone actually rung a tax office to find out ? The box 8TK certainly appears on line. Instead of guessing - why not ring?

I think someone in the tax office screwed up. On 2042C (which is the form I received last year) there is, indeed a box 8TK - “Revenu de source Etrangere ouvraint a un credit etc etc”. Now do we download the form and enclose it with 2042K, duly filling in box 8TK, or wait for the tax office to realise they boobed (if indeed they have). The link to download the form is here.
I’ll hold off until someone who speaks better French than I do, queries this with the office. Or pencil in the missing item on 2042K - which will probably cause apoplexy.

John… there really is no rush… even though my friends are determined it must be done today… (lockdownitis I think)

I’ve already sent one query to the Tax Office but not about 8TK… If I can’t fathom it, after a good night’s sleep… I’ll zap off another email… have no fear… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

there is no need to do anything right now…

Hi, I’m making my first online declaration and it is rather more daunting than I expected, so I would be very grateful for any help that can be offered. My paper declaration last year concerned only the last 3 months of 2018 and a zero amount was imposed.

I have UK Govt and State Pensions to declare, as well as a UK bank account, all of which were disclosed on the paper application last year. I also have modest investment trust and share-holding dividends, all of which were previously disclosed. I’ve created annexes for forms 2047 and 3916.

I’m now on the ‘Pensions, Retraites, Rentes’ page - sections 1AS to 1AM - and all the sections are blank.
My first question, please, is do I declare the gross or nett payments of the Govt pension, taxed in the UK? Is that figure placed in box 1AL or 1AM? Does my amount for the State Pension go in box 1AS?

I have a savings account as well as a current account with my UK bank, the current account earning a very small amount of interest yearly. Do I need to complete a form 3916 for each account or will one form suffice for both accounts?

Apologies for the questions, I didn’t expect it to be this difficult… :flushed:

It’s a shame Anna Watson doesn’t appear to be a member anymore,this is the sort of thing she was always able to offer good advice on

1 Like

Our UK pensions go into hubby is 1AM and mine is 1BM ( put in the amounts before UK tax (if any)/…

I’ll look at where we put investments tomorrow…

Didn’t you declare any investments last year… even for 3 months ??

Peter - Connexions do a booklet on French Income Tax which has been (unfairly in my view) criticised but is a good general guide which I have used for a couple of years (not much help sorting out my present woes tho’). I think you might find it of some help since you have various sources of income. It is (or was) €12.50. The guide is here..
N.b. The cut-off dates have changed. for those declaring on paper, it’s June 12.

1 Like