Deepl - translation of Word Doc - not able to then edit?

My latest version of Word in Office 365 now translates documents directly and creates a new Word document retaining formatting etc.

@Mat_Davies
Is the translation any good?
Actually that is probably an unfair question. If somebody needs to use eg Word to translate a document they probably aren’t good enough at the language to gauge the quality of the translation. Interesting. I am not being mean about your language ability by the way.
Edited because I see my tablet or my fat fingers wrote gauge wrong.

1 Like

Wow that is a bit harsh, - - - but totally and completely justified!!

I used it to convert a French contract to English, the resulting English was understandable - entirely possible that it meant nothing like the French original!

1 Like

I am yet to be convinced by automatic machine translation. Even Deepl, which does surprisingly well for certain language pairs that I have tried, still makes grammatical and context-dependent mistakes. It is a useful tool, but not yet perfect.

1 Like

I’m not sure it is possible to be perfect, too much context is needed for completely 100% accurate translation, context which a text-based, software, translator will not have access to in the general case.

2 Likes

Well, I’m just thankful that we’re not there yet, the day we are is when a chunk of my business turnover goes out the window :rofl:

1 Like

Likewise.

I found a solution here, and it worked for me:

Thank you and welcome, @dhacohen! I hope you find the forum helpful.

Feel free to introduce yourself (if you like: there is no obligation, of course) and tell us more about yourself and your connection to France.

Here’s one which works really well: