Delays in processing requests for carte de sejour

Hasn’t affected us in 16 Peter and I know of other Departments where there isn’t a problem from what has been said in this topic.

That’s good news, I’m glad the 16 has escaped the cutbacks. Most parts of France have longer waiting lists at hospitals etc

not in 22…I had to have a one day operation a year ago… and mack the knife apologised that he couldn’t it for two weeks !

1 Like

26th October 2020 - applied via website
8th January 2021 - interview email from Préfecture de police Paris
21st January 2021 - interview appointment at Préfecture

6th May 2021 - email from Prefecture that I should book online appointment to collect my carte de sejour.

11th June 2021 - Picked up my 10 years permanent carte de sejour at Prefecture. To expire in 2031.

Thank you France.

9 Likes

I think, from the note I left myself on my calendar “CdS bank info now” on 09/03/21 that I applied later that day. Like ‘railang’, I’m still waiting the call. Dep 50. St Lo.

For some reason I am not fretting the CdS at all, whereas waiting for the C. Vit - 5 months - was getting to me.

Received mine this morning.

7 Likes

Timeline for me and partner in 92 (Hauts-de-Seine):
Oct 2020: applied via online portal
May 2021: sent an email to follow up process
27th May 2021: rdv for fingerprints and to hand in old titre de séjour

At the appointment, we explained that we’re planning to travel on July 10th and asked if the new cards would be with us by then. The agent assured us that the processing time was 3 weeks and to be safe told us that we’d have them within a month.

My partner is a non-EU national, and the Brexit system doesn’t really cater for this. He has no récipissé and had to surrender his old card, leaving him with no proof of residency. If he leaves France, no airline will allow him to board a return flight with only the confirmation email.

Unfortunately his father has been taken very ill and we need to travel urgently. Since the month is almost up, I emailed the préfecture to ask whether we could receive the cards this week due to the circumstances. I received a reply explaining that my partner should delay his trip and if he does go, he will have to apply for a new visa before returning to France.

Given that his father may not hold on until he receives his new titre de séjour I really don’t know what to do except hope that the card arrives soon. From the email, it seems like they didn’t check on the status of the application so maybe there’s hope.

Do any of you have advice or ideas for what we can do? It would be so unfair for us to miss seeing my father-in-law before it’s too late due to this.

Can your partner contact his national embassy here in France to see if it is possible for them to arrange emergency travel papers for him so he can return to France in due course?

Or contact the French embassy in the country where his father is, and explain the situation and ask if they can expedite a visa when he arrives there?

Tellimg you to delay your trip is not helpful in the circumstances!

2 Likes

I am so sorry that you had to hear this heartless news.
This is bureaucracy at its worst, whether in France or elsewhere.

Thanks Jane Jones and Jane Williamson for your kind replies.

I don’t have any contacts currently at the French Embassy in my partner’s home country, and I worry that him being issued with a visa would reset his residency time to zero or otherwise interfere with his status here.

Likewise, his home country’s consulate in Paris is not known for being either responsive or effective, and I’m not sure what sort of document they could offer that would prove his French status. He still has his passport, just no proof of legal residency in France until they send the new titre de séjour.

The email from the préfecture was a standard reply and perhaps the agent thought I was just trying my luck. In their favour, the response was lightning quick, which is something to be thankful for.

What does infuriate me is the design of the system, which assumes that all British residents in France are married to either British or EU nationals. There is no provision for third country partners. We were aware of this flaw before the fingerprinting appointment, and the agent at the préfecture agreed that there is no way to prove residency and that we’re stuck until the new cards are sent. We’ve also been unable to take our driving tests because we don’t have an acceptable form of ID and proof of residency.

Do you think it would be worth contacting the mayor to see if anything can be done? I’m just hoping that the original timeline of three to four weeks is correct and we’ll receive the cards in the next few days.

Perhaps, but not sure what influence they would have on the préfecture. Your better bet would be your deputy.

You have a good point about messing up his current application process. But he is a french resident, so could still be worth a call to them to see what they advise. As they might be able to push your préfecture so as not to have a diplomatic incident on their hands.

Would you be flying, as if so you need to contact the airline to ask what they will need to allow him to board. That’s probably the most difficult bit.

If you are coming by land, then you could quite possible chance it? For British residents coming into France earlier this year, before the receipts were well known, people were advised to carry a dossier of information to prove residence - old CdS, tax forms, edf bills and so on.

Just go…
In this sort of situation just get there. Sort the way back, later

Take the evidence @JaneJones suggests. Including a printout of the invitation to have fingerprints and hand in photo.

Have someone able to check your post daily and send CdJ’s by signed-for reliable major courier delivery (if post express avis de receptlon etc at the other end is not reliable).

Contact French Consulate while you are there.

But just go.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your situation.

I’m very confused by this as as a partner of a UK cit under the WA he should have been able to apply under the online portal and therefore he should have the email and therefore proof.
https://francobritishnetwork.fr/2021/03/19/applying-for-a-withdrawal-agreement-residency-permit-in-france-as-a-family-member-of-a-uk-national/

He should be allowed back in with that email if he has it, also EDF bills / tax etc as others have said, anythign to prove he is resident. A letter from the mayor perhaps as well ‘attestation de residence’.

2 Likes

We originally applied back in november 2020; heard nothing.
applied AGAIN 2 days ago and were sent our appointments yesterday for early July.
a miracle has happened. dept 34.

2 Likes

I wonder if that is something we should all be considering? There seem to be quite a few people in Manche (judging by the comments on the British Embassy FB page) who’ve heard nothing. I’m bothered about making the situation even worse…

I do urge those in 34 to reapply as there HAS been issues there.

@AngelaR I’d call your association and ask them if they have any information about where they are and if they are starting to suggest reapplying. They may be able to set your mind at rest and tell you what date they are up to.

1 Like

Angela:

IOM - The International Organisation for Migration (Brittany, Normandy, Paris and Ile-de-France, Hauts-de-France, Pays de la Loire)

Contact details:

• visit the IOM website
  • email: UKnationalsFR@iom.int
  • hotline: 08 09 54 98 32 available during the following hours: Mon - Tues 2pm to 4pm and Wed - Thurs 10.30am to 12.30pm
3 Likes

Thanks Tory - I’ll give them a ring! I looked at the IOM website yesterday and was actually quite put off but there is no harm in trying a phone call - they can only tell me to go away … :smiley:

Why was that?

The website didn’t actually seem to deal with things like our situation - all seemed to be about important areas like Georgia and Lebanon and refugees fleeing persecution etc