Democracy and the Briton in France and Europe

Actually Keith, there are many jobs that are only open to French nationals, which is why it is important my kids take the nationality as soon as they are able - currently 13 yrs old.

I think the newly introduced language test could scupper many :-O

seconded ;-)

It's fairly easy to become French but very long winded and involves collecting oodles of paperwork. You also need to obtain a certificate confirming your level of French,more details are here

It's possible that you didn't get much of a response as the majority of folks on here aren't really interested in having a British vote, also many people here aren't British. I left the UK at 23 and have now lived more than half my life outside the UK, mainly but not always, in France. I don't give two hoots about the UK, I live here, my brother is now a Canadian citizen and once my parents die, I will not bother even visiting the UK.

My kids will have French nationality soon as they were born here and eventually I will get round to taking French nationality so at least I can have a vote in the country I live in, which is far more important to me. I don't mind being British - it's where I was born but the affairs of a country I do not live in hold no interest for me. Where I live now and what affects my family is far more important in my daily life but then I have said before, I'm an immigrant in France, not an ex-pat.

No, why? I do not live in the UK. I have no intention of returning. I am not on an electoral register. Why should I have a vote there? I would rather have a vote where I live. Is democracy less because I vote in France? If the UK leaves the EU I shall take another nationality, just to stamp my foot impetuously perhaps. The cause is greater Brian. It should actually be that people have a choice where they vote. It would also be reasonable if people who have lived out of their birth country for perhaps 10 years and who do not intend to go back surrender their 'voice' there. It is an issue of many dimensions and I believe we should discuss them ALL and begin campaigns, not under UK citizens exclusively, but of people from within the EU together to get electoral laws that give us votes that correspond with our lives. Once there is such a campaign where nobody can point an accusing finger at English, Dutch or anybody else, but accept that it is an action by fellow Europeans then we are more likely to be listened to. As for the least 'democratic glue' in the UK, well I think that is a rather subjective view and feel other nations are equally culpable. Finally, in political theory and philosophy there is a vast amount about democracy and one thing that is clear is that it cannot be 'implemented'. It is a state of being that has something more akin to a life of its own. True democracy would be without borders and classifications such as nationality, but then we could debate that until the cows come home.