Dental devis and complementaire help needed

That on the other hand is correct… but that’s not really something we deduct. Instead it’s something you pay which is only partially included in your payroll so for example let’s say the employer’s mutuelle is 50e it’s highly likely that you’ll have only 25e included as part of your monthly revenue meaning that the extra 25e is “tax free” :wink: But whatever the situation the mutuelle is never something we can deduct from our income on tax returns, at least not something I’ve seen in my life and with any partners I’ve been working with (but I’m not an accountant so… who knows :wink: ).

2 Likes

Since the poster has already said they are able and happy to pay and there does not seem to be any question of having to wait or needing to reduce the cost, I am confused about the point of some of the comments beyond of course, nobody wants to be ripped off.

I’ll respond generally and hopefully answer specific queries.

Yes, it’s bad apparently. Stage 4 severe bad. Not that I’m aware of it. I initially went to my dentist with a simple tooth ache. They x-rayed and saw the significant bone loss in my jaw (a sign of periodontitis). The tooth ache was caused by the tooth moving, there being insufficient bone to keep it stable.

The roots of my teeth need to be cleaned, to remove them of the scale/tartar that is feeding the infection. Some dentists do what they call ‘root planing’ (surfaçage radiculaire) and that involves cutting gums, peeling them back and scraping the roots. Lithotripsie is a non-invasive technique that uses sound waves to break up the scale. There’s a limit to to how much of it can be done in one go. That combined with how much of it there is to do means an undetermined number of sessions.

I will more than likely lose teeth, as the bone loss is significant. Certainly one (the one causing the ache) and most probably more. I will require replacements of some kind, either implants or dentures. All rather a surprise because, as I say, I only thought I had a toothache!

I’ll not go into the details of periodontitis but to say it is not at all uncommon. The majority of people have it in some form; you’ll see figures like 70% of over 60s. Which does beg the question as to whether this work is necessary at all, if it’s simply aging by another name. Just pull the culprit tooth and have done, Oh were it that simple! As periodontitis is linked to other diseases (respiratory, cardiac, even Alzheimer’s) it’s in the interest of my general health to get it sorted. Read up on it, it’s actually a fascinating subject. Certainly I was completely unaware.

With regard to the personal pension, it’s a trivial one, i.e. small value. Due to being non UK resident, I’m unable to purchase an annuity with it nor have flexible drawdowns. My only option is to cash it. Staged over 4 years (système du quotient I believe it’s called) it may have negligible effect on our tax situation - but I need to look into that a little more yet. And if I need implants, and they are an option, then I’ll need the funds for that too.

1 Like

Ah ok, I must have misunderstood

Let us not worry about the personal pension bit then. Cashing it is an option I fortunately have, it’s not a must. On current spending projections and budgets, I shall need to find the money from somewhere over the next 5 years. It makes as much sense to do it now as later, due to other circumstances.

1 Like

before taking any drastic steps regarding cashing in pensions… why not consider clicking on the image link above.
That will take you this page where you can seek professional help about your options.

Fascinating article in the grauniad all about a wretched woman trying to get dentists to take her seriously and ending up very ill as a result of untreated tooth problems.

When I was working for MSF I saw a splendid fit-looking Pathan chap keel over and die in hospital in Peshawar where he was visiting his wife because he had some toothrot related heart disease.
Afghans generally had good teeth because sugar was scarce and green tea is full of fluoride.

1 Like

I don’t think this is the case. DH has had both done on a few teeth and nothing to pay.

1 Like

Could you flesh that out a little please @toryroo ?

What isn’t the case and what did DH have done? Are they on CSS?

1 Like

I was replying about Karen’s comment regarding root canal. We have CSS as well and he has had I think 4 root canals and crowns done and we’ve never paid a centime.

I agree with the others talk to the dentist (or receptionist) and see if you can get a breakdown of whats covered and maybe get a 2,and opinion on treatment options, there may be another way to treat that is covered.

2 Likes

If you can save your teeth that is really worth doing…friend just spent €10k on implants (courtesy of a very generous employer mutuelle).

100% santé will cover basic treatment, but not necessarily the most beautiful option on all teeth. And root canals can be done at different levels too, for different prices.

Inflammation of the gums has become a major issue in so many diseases.And links to cardiac problems are pretty irrefutable now. So dental care is amazingly important. I wouldn’t hesitate to spend money on it (assuming I had it of course).

1 Like

Given how France is pretty good on taking a preventative stance (eg cancer check ups and bilan de sante) I’m amazed there isn’t better cover for dentistry.

I agree about getting a second opinion and also getting a breakdown of costs. I’m very fortunate in that my dentist gives alternatives in his devis so I have options after discussing it with him.

2 Likes

Ah okay, thanks. I was reading the thread on my tablet and I didn’t see that you were replying to a particular comment. I see that now, apologies :slight_smile:

Also, I couldn’t reply immediately as my post count was limited due to being a newbie.

1 Like

It’ll improve - you’re posting well but perhaps make some contributions in other topics to help matters along?

re 2nd opinion/devis, it’s obviously an option but there is a consideration to take into account. The dental-surgeon I was referred to uses a particular method that is not overly common (and not used at all in the UK) so a 2nd opinion mightn’t be comparing like for like. It’s known as the Bonner method. I knew nothing about it prior to seeing them but have since researched it - and I like the sound of it and so am keen to take this path.

During my reading/research, I had my eyes opened to the importance of dental/oral health - as others, like @JaneJones , have referred to. Not just to the teeth and gums but to the overall health; what starts as a gum infection can make its way around the body. I was made aware of how unaware we all are generally, even to something as simple as good dental hygiene.

To answer my opening question, I think I now see why my mutuelle responded as they did. The answer lay partly in the first response, from the aforementioned JaneJones, but @Sandcastle also chipped in by pulling apart and illuminating the process. The mutuelle’s response was a “standard form of words”; a generic, template answer that didn’t address my specific query (i.e. was the devis reimbursable) and instead pointed out the process. That’s what confused me.

I’m used to customer services and the like responding with non-specific and somewhat unhelpful template answers but I neglected to think about that when I read the mutuelle’s response. I thought I was receiving considered and tailored advice! :laughing:

1 Like

If I can add something somewhere along the way then I might well do that. I’ve read enough over the years so I guess it’d be nice to ‘give back’, if and when I can. Thing is, most folk are way more knowledgeable than me and I don’t want to misinform and am happy to bow to superior wisdom.

3 Likes

So best thing now is to chat to you dentist to see what if any is paid back and by whim. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I think you will find that SF’ers are in the main kindly when responding to posts from new contributors finding their feet - indeed, the SF Team as well as other right thinking members are constantly on the lookout for ad hominem attacks and call them out very swiftly.
As well as a discussion forum, SF also has a wealth of Q&A content and individual personal experiences are always welcome.
Please don’t feel threatened by an apparent “superior wisdom”, if you wish to make a contribution, right or wrong, go for it - someone can always put you on the right track if you have uncertainties (and often do) but in a friendly way.
Remember, the man who never made a mistake, never made anything :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for the link, very informative and helped me understand a little more about the process. Sadly, it seems my treatment would not be covered by it but it’s certainly something to know for when I get implants, dentures, bridge work, whatever.

I think perhaps the ‘100% santé’ program might even be the backdrop for the response from my mutuelle. There’s almost an implication in their answer that the dental-surgeon wasn’t adhering to these new “modalities” when perhaps the ‘100% santé’ scheme does not actually cover the treatment being done - so the dental-surgeon had no need to detail his devis in that manner.

@jwall Incidentally, what controls your activity in SF is governed by Trust Levels.
You can see Trust Levels by selecting the “hamburger” (3 line icon) menu and selecting it from there…