Desparately seeking Meat Pies

www.montybutcher.fr

[

Montybutcher.fr - Home | Facebook

](Montybutcher.fr)

suggest you send an email - or call. They take orders and hand over goods at various
locations around Charente. We and friends usually meet them at Confolens to pick up orders.

Scotch Pie is different from a Steak Pie.

“The difference between a Scotch pie to other mince pies is the pastry, called “hot water pastry”. It’s more like a crust rather than a flaky pastry, meaning it can be moulded to form the distinctive round with straight sides.”

both recipes in case you fancy a ‘peh’ as they say in Dundee

Pies are the best, the ones from Fisher and Donaldson’s in St Andrews were essential lifesaving stuff when I was at school. I love mutton pies. That pastry is the best, English and other pies cannot compete.

1 Like

Its quite a surprise, when in Scotland we took all these foods for granted. Walk into any butchers or Bakery and grab a ‘peh’. Some were great some not so fine, but all perfect if you needed a quick pick me up. Same with ingredients. Scottish beef is still miles ahead of French beef… don’t know if the cows eat better or if the butchers have a trick to make the meat more tender… Charolais from a nearby Scottish farm was tender and tasty. We are surrounded by beef cattle in the Charente/Limousin, but anything I have bought here (unless it came from Monty Butchers) has been tough as old boots.
Miss the game dealer the most, this time of year we would be feasting on pheasant breast . So far have not managed a contact with the local chasse. Nothing beats a venison chop…

1 Like

Yes English pies are great if cooked correctly.
I was a lucky young child because I ate pies where my mother worked at Bobby Cooks Pie and mash shop in London.
I make pies in winter and really enjoy Hempe or skirt steak braised with lots of shallots and slow slow with a little guiness stock and mushrooms towards finale time, Must no forget the seasoning to include some chopped garlic.

2 Likes

The game is what I miss most here in France.
We had wild pigeons, pheasants and venison easily available from our butcher in Nailsworth.

Local chasse?

No wild pigeon or pheasant. They make good black pudding though.

In the restaurant in London I cooked hare,venison, partridges and pheasant for the clients. Here in France where my visitors and neighbours are often animals of the wild I am turning away from the desire to eat meat.
Maybe I will stop eating meat…after all I had one of the first vegan restaurants in London, Should be easy,

Oh Bettina nothing better than seeing deer dancing through the trees serviving another chasse.

1 Like

I like watching them too. But in Scotland there are way too many - the hills can support about 150.000 - now there are up to 1/2 million. No tree can survive, and if no culls happen deer will starve to death. It’s the lesser evil. And once culled - why not eat the meat. At least they have not died for nothing. I hated the ‘sporting estates’ that raised pheasant only to be shot.
I am a big supporter of responsible farming and nose to tail eating. Will never understand people who will only eat ‘meat or fish without bones’ and it has to be ‘steak’,
If an animal dies for our food, every bit should be used. Hide for leather, bones for glue and meat for food.
And respect people who will not eat animal flesh just as much as someone who likes to shoot or fish for the pot.

4 Likes

Sounds like a policy that should be expanded to humans too. Why just have an organ donation card when you can become someone’s bottle of UHU and Pritt Stick and an entire family’s dinner of Mr Brain’s Faggots or ASDA Smart Price burgers too?!

1 Like

Who knows if you don’t, Soylent Green anyone ?:yum:

3 Likes

I have a card - every useful bit of mine can be recycled
I am not concerned what happens once I’m dead.
Friends life was saved just weeks ago by the same attitude…
Thanks to the donor and his family our friend now has a second birthday
And thanks to the french health care system.

1 Like

Yes once you are no longer here then that is the finale and all the love and tears, flowers and celebrations should take place during life. So yes why not give the chance of life to others.

1 Like