Desparately seeking Meat Pies

Does anyone know where I can purchase, on a regular basis, half a dozen frozen meat pies (not Fray Bentos in cans) similar to what you’d get (or used to) in a London East End Pie & Mash shop, or in any supermarket in the UK and similar in ‘The Colonies’ (such as the one not currently flavour of the Month with France)?

I’m no Masterchef so my cooking only and gets a ‘fail’ grade for presentation, although it all tastes the same in the end…

1 Like

Would this do? If they deliver in your area

https://www.placedumarche.fr/p/16706-tourtes-alsaciennes-surgelees-au-riesling-4-x-130-g?gclid=CjwKCAjwoP6LBhBlEiwAvCcthJ4mv7L9sQsWxYqJUBM5piOqFdTkCOhnx7Y-rJK8d2NJ_i9jhCYU0xoCv2QQAvD_BwE

Or Thiriet sell them too and they deliver everywhere

https://livraison.thiriet.com/resultats-de-recherche/resultats,180,1171.html?reset=1&text_search=Tourte+viande

Or look in butcher’s shops…

3 Likes

I travelled back home from Manchester airport just pre pandemic, and and got my baggage hand searched. The guy next to me also having his baggage hand searched had a carry on suitcase full of fray bentos pies in cans. This caused some consternation from the baggage handlers, but he was eventually let through. They may have argued that the gravy inside was a liquid :smile:. Incidentally, I had a tin of foie grass confiscated by French security, on my way out, because they argued it was a liquid ???. I recon the guy just fancied it for his supper.

1 Like

Thanks Jane - getting close but still not what I’d call a Traditional ‘British’ (or Aussie) pie.

Thankfully as a fallback here in Finistere we do have the traditional ‘Cornish Pasties’ available at our village market.

Montybutcher | Gourmandises artisanales écossaises - they might be a little too far, but check their pies. Had the pork pie at a summer picnic…
very very nice. Since they are Scots, a tradiational meat pie would be beef steak topped with puff pastry…

1 Like

Thanks Bettina
I weakend and made some pies myself with an electric pie maker donated by a friend.
It was a tedious job for a non cook.
My recipe was my own so exactly what I required. Presentation a bit off but there you go!
My vigour is much restored to face the cold now upon us… and with 5kgs of fresh chestnuts gathered here and there I expect I’ll survive winter…
Alec

Wow - they look like fine pies I shall certainly call them…

1 Like

mmmm mouth watering, love an Aussie meat pie!! I did make a very decent one and was surprisingly easy from an online recipie. I just used read made pastry and it was, I think, easy enough even for a non cook!

That’s what I did with a gifted French Pie making machine. Regular ready made pastry on the bottom and flakey ready made pastry on top. Don’t forget to grease the pie dish or piemaker.

My recipe was just mince, onions, mushrooms, seasoning, tomato paste and tomato ketchup. As good as any Aussie or London pie I ever had…

1 Like

Yum! I don’t think mine was even fancy enough to have mushrooms but sounds similar, I was VERY surprised to be honest at how easy it was to recreate the right taste. I must make one this winter, it was years ago I did it on Australia day, and even cut a little Australia out to decorate the top!!

Didn’t know such a thing existed!

sometimes available - French made - in your local recycling shop - if you spot one.
I ordered a four pie model on ebay (Chinese no doubt) for about 35 $Aus to send to my daughter in Sydney.
Mine is less ambitious …as you can see…

Note the wine - I like to cook with wine - sometimes I even put it in the food…

1 Like

I have a toasted sandwich maker that looks like that!

A traditional scotch pie would be made with mutton.

3 Likes

This reminds me of an amusing incident at Manchester airport going through customs. My carry on case was diverted from the scanner and I was alongside another British chap whose carry on case had also been diverted. When asked to open the bag by the customs officer, the inside was packed entirely with several dozen Fray Bentos steak pies in cans. It must have weighed a tonne. The officer was a bit nonplussed and unsure as to whether they were allowed onboard or not. He went away to consult and came back a minute later, and to my amazement he allowed the chap through unscathed.

The best :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: I love those pies. I like the ones with chunks better than the ones with minced stuff inside.

1 Like

Does anyone have any info on the company mentioned -Monty butcher,do they send out deliveries all over France and is there a list of products also please,thanks.

Have you tried Bacon by the Box? Pies – Bacon By The Box.

Their bacon and sausages are very good

Looks very interesting for bacon. Some of the ‘dry goods’ are a little hardworking pricewise

Min order 100 euros but all delivery is free. Nice to see what looks like a family business we can order from. I’ve saved a note to look at ordering from them when I’m richer.

There breakfast sausages are worth having, can take od leave the bacon - I now prefer thin poitrine fumée (and its cheaper, less added “liquid”). The cheese isn’t worth getting :wink: