I’ll keep this short as I have to deal with it for a year and am done.
- November 2016 - a meter reader came and said the position of the meter made it difficult to read. No-one had ever mentioned that before. It was removed and replaced immediately.
- December 2016 - I received a bill saying two of us had used 651,000 litres and I owed €1,700.
- December/January/February/April (probably more) driving to the Saur office demanding an investigation. In the end, I lost it and screamed at the manager, literally begging them to help. Those who know me know I did not have nearly 2k hidden under a mattress. This was serious.
- No action taken so I told them to examine the meter they had removed. Because so much time had now elapsed,
- its condition had deteriorated so testing was no longer possible.
- I told them to come to the house and check for water damage - surely 650k litres of water might leave a mark - no-one came.
- I went to the mediator who conducted an impressively thorough review. He discounted Saur’s contentions that it must have been a leaking pipe to an in-ground pool (we don’t have one), an outside tap left on (we don’t have one). He can’t compel parties to do anything, only advise. He concluded, based on our history of use, we couldn’t have used that volume of water and Saur should find an amicable solution.
- That was 3 months ago. Not a word from Saur - no suggestion for compromise, no payment schedule, nada.
- Yesterday I received a final notice to pay 1,700 in full or face prosecution.
The fact they failed to investigate the cause means it could happen again - who knows? And who will be liable for the bill - me. So, folks, check your meter regularly. They deny meters can malfunction. Ironically, the replacement meter blocked within 2 months. If i was a ‘water stealer’ I wouldn’t have bothered letting them know and could have enjoyed free water. Unfortunately, that’s not my nature.
Today I wrote a two page letter to the Executive President listing where and how frequently they had failed and how he should read his own code of ethics. It will achieve little - he will probably bin it - but hopefully it will make him angry. Tough. That is nothing compared to the stress I’ve been under for over a year.
So, as I say, check that meter.