DFDS Newhaven Dieppe

12ft.io is back to working again

1 Like

Looks good, will take a closer look later.

The local press is today showing this photo of work in progress on the cabins in the DFDS ferry undergoing a refit in Dieppe. The corporate PR wording below the photo is fairly heroic/optimistic

Looks like the Bibby Stockholm.

Though in that case it would be the finished cabin, not a “work in progress”.

To me that looks like N-D stripped out normal cabin I used to sleep in when they were not ridiculously priced

“modernes et Ă©lĂ©gantes”???

Only if moderne = made of the latest man made materials and élégante means devoid of any sense of design or style.

I think the words they should have used are “cheap” and “shoddy”

I really dont think its a finished article, its just as it always was. They did have state rooms, rather than rooms in a state

This extract from the local Dieppe newspaper over the weekend seems to explain (to me) why the Newhaven Dieppe route is now subsidised (25m€ a year) - since it would appear the route would otherwise have closed around 2000

Yes thats true if memory serves the French Gov stepped in with the LD lines operation to keep the route running. Fortunately the accountants idea of centralising everything is ignored by others. One mess up (operation Stack) and the whole operation comes to a standstill, thankfully other routes still allow transport albeit reduced to continue. Long may it continue.

It would be nice if the Newhaven end also got some UK money spent in it - the port facilities are pretty dire - unless you count McDonalds on the A259 or the very posh Hot Spot Grill in North Quay Road! :smiley:

But I doubt any of the recycled HS2 money is going to trickle so far south - it’s required for fixing potholes in Islington after all

1 Like

The latest photos of the refit of Seven Sisters - the refit of the other ferry, the Cote d’Albñtre, is now just starting. Total cost 8,5 m€. The photos show the Family Cabin, the standard cabin and the new capsule cabin(s).

Screenshot_20240204-062104-489~2

![

1 Like

I was gutted when I last came home via Newhaven as a foot passenger to find the café in the terminal had gone. Their bacon or sausage sandwiches with a big mug of tea was the best ferry breakfast anywhere. The new cabins look nice.

I didnt know they had one, just a toilet inside the building. Whilst on the subject of breakfast, the curious sausages taste? I dont eat it its just what I hear from other passengers.

I think it must have gone during Covid. Such a shame, just machines now. I love that crossing, the staff are always so nice and helpful to foot passengers.

Likewise to us vehicle drivers. They are contract staff not actually DFDS employees so one person in the kiosk said.

I’m slightly tempted to try that route, but it means having to route around Paris, and we STILL have to battle around the M25, plus the time required is much longer. But Eurotunnel have put their prices up again - now >£300 return in April/May. If we didn’t need to take stuff I think it would be cost the same to fly to Lyon and hire a car for 2 weeks, though at least we likely use less fuel driving.

I have never done it but I understand if you ring up instead of booking on line you can get a discount for being Ancient. :joy:
We have used it a few times with the car and once got parked right in front of the exit doors for Dieppe. :blush:

1 Like

Where roughly are you heading?

Yes the over 60’s get almost 20% off, but not for pets just human elements.

The 20% over 60 discount shoes to vehicle, occupants and cabins.