Different VIN to Carte Gris

2CV Stella, always wanted one for pottering about - fingers crossed

1 Like

2CVā€™s are great little carsā€¦ hope all goes well at DREALā€¦ just be upfront with them about what has happened to the car and then let them do their stuff.

fingers crossed :relaxed:

(there are some great 2CV clubsā€¦ doing all sorts of trips etcā€¦ very supportive/useful contacts)

A 2CV does not have a chassis so basically the owner has a car and the Carte Grise for a different car. It will be interesting to hear what DREAL has to say but at the end of the day it might have to be re-registered from scratch through FFVE and he/you will end up with a Carte Grise that matches the car that exists. I wonder what happened to the car that the CG belongs to.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

now Iā€™m confused! we are talking about the original number on the CG and the actual number ā€œfrappe froideā€ on the bodywork under the bonnet ie the VIN - yes?

Lynne - I suspect youā€™ve actually bought the car - right ?

YES, of course the 2CV does have a chassisā€¦ :roll_eyes: a very important part of the car.

Unlike many cars, the 2CV does not have a self-supporting car body. Instead, its bodywork is built up completely on the chassis. This chassis frame is therefore the 2CVā€™s load-bearing component.

Lynneā€¦ please have a good weekendā€¦ go to DREAL on Monday and get things sorted out.

It goes back to your original post where you wrote that the car had a new chassis in 2009implying, to me, that it was a vehicle with a chassis, a body and an engine. I have a vehicle like that and its chassis number is stamped on the chassis. The body has no stamp but the engine does. With that vehicle I could change the body without requiring a new CG as long as the body style still matched the original. A 2CV does not have a chassis. Itā€™s VIN is linked to its body. When the restoration was carried out did someone take the engine, chassis and other parts from one car and fit them to the body of another? If so the resulting car should have a Carte Grise showing the VIN on the body. As I wrote before if the VIN on the car is different to the number on the Carte Grise it is not the Carte Grise for that car and never can be.

No Stella it does not. It has a body. See my previous post.

Nopeā€¦ I cannot agree with youā€¦ not sure what cars you are talking about but the 2CV does indeed have a chassisā€¦

https://www.schaalbouw.nl/citroen/2cvchap3.htm

https://the2cvshop.co.uk/products/?by=cat&id=238&reset=1

As Lynne has pointed out the VIN is attached to the 2CV body, not to a separate chassis. The car that is for sale has not had a different chassis put onto the original bodywork it has been given a new body. The VIN for that body does not match the CG.

Dominicā€¦ I gave just reread the original post and Lynne definitely says there was a different chassis put onto the car in 2007.

The picture shows where the (red) Plaque carrying the chassis number is fixed on the cross memberā€¦front-left

@Lynnee this is a link which gives the dates for all the 2CV chassis numbersā€¦will help you date the chassis which is on the car nowā€¦ it might be younger or older than the rest of the carā€¦

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/michelin/2cv/chassis-numbers.html#_2cv

Itā€™s all semantics anyway. There is a car and there is a Carte Grise and they do not match.

Definitely does have a chassis, my better half had one (in the uk inthe 90ā€™s) and we replaced the original chassis with a galvanized chassis. Canā€™t for the life of me remember what we did about changing the registration details, but donā€™t think it was that difficult (then, in uk).

1 Like

Cheers Markā€¦ :hugs::upside_down_face:

One thing I do remember about it thoughā€¦ it was appalling, in every possible way, to drive. Even more so for someone big.

Which is why they are going to DREALā€¦ :relaxed:

Hi Lynnee, Iā€™m not an expert but I have a friend who buys & sells cars for a living & heā€™s done so for over 20 years. The expression he used is a" cut & shut" which could NOT only be mean that the car has been stolen the thieves weld 2 cars together hence the VIN not matching, in the event of an accident the car may split in half & could be fatal to the all passengers on board! I personally wouldnā€™t recommend you go ahead with the purchase unless the current owner gets the paperwork corrected, no matter how busy they are, the responsibility is theirs. Good luck and be safe :wink:

This is very interesting Stella as the number plaque the CT inspector is referring to as being different looks to me as if it is in the place for the paint reference! have asked the owner to look again on the vehicle where the chassis and engine plaques should be to see if there is anything that matches up with the CG there - might all be a wild goose chase if the CT guy has got it wrong - you never know!