Different VIN to Carte Gris

So much happens over the years… and plaques get moved/lost. It is the Chassis number which is needed … it should be somewhere. The Chassis has been replaced… and only in 2007, so it should still bear a number easily found.

Is it lefthand or righthand drive? Only ask, as some RHD 2CV owners (UK) have had an awful time sorting out old chassis indentities .

If it is a modern/newbuild chassis the Manufacture/Fitter has sometimes etched the original chassis number onto the new metal, but not always in the correct place… this was accepted in UK… no idea about here in France.

Frankly… if push comes to shove… DREAL will make a decision based on their knowledge/expertise and common sense. It is best to get their trustworthy decision, then you can buy with complete confidence and the authenticity of your car will be beyond doubt. You do not want the matter “coming back to bite you” … later on.

well thanks to you Stella I think we have found the problem - there is a number under the hood which matches the CG - hurrah! BUT we are still going to DREAL on Monday to ensure that all is indeed fine. All this trouble because the CT clearly doesn’t know the 2CV that well! I don’t have the chassis no. so I couldn’t look that up on your link but will be interested in the clubs at some stage - out of interest, what car(s) do you have as you clearly know the right people!

1 Like

Hi Lynne… as I said… get it verified by DREAL and all should be dandy…

Whilst it is hard to believe that any Frenchman is not au fait with a 2CV… it does happen… youngsters may not get to see, let alone work on classic cars.

We have belonged to various clubs both in UK and here in France… whilst some of the clubs are car-specific, our main club is a multi-marque which means we get to experience a wide range of classic cars.

I’m following your progress with great interest… fingers crossed. :relaxed:

Dominic, your ignorance is showing.! This is a 2CV chassis & the can be bought seperately. The car is not a monocoque. Stella has also shown you where the chassis numbers can be found.

2cv%20chassis

2CV CHASSIS GALVANISED PATTERN PART
FRAME ADAPTABLE GALVANIZE
-15%
FRAME ADAPTABLE GALVANIZE
Réf. 1007104
Public price :

810,42 €

1 Like

Mark, is this what the French would also call le platform?

Makes a change. On the recent occasions it was you. Still no rolling chassis.

It has been called that, with an ‘e’. Sometimes it may also be referred to as ‘soubassement’ or ‘cadre-chassis’. There may well be others too but these are the more general terms.

Absolutely, @Lynnee … as Mark says… various expressions can be used…

Ce châssis dit plateforme est composé de longerons, traverses et planchers assemblés par soudure par points de manière à constituer un ensemble très rigide sur lequel la caisse vient se boulonner.”

This chassis, known as a platform, is composed of … blah blah blah… assembled by spot welding so as to constitute a very rigid assembly on which the body is bolted.

thank you

No Anna, you can give a car a new chassis but due to the level of work it’s unusual. Not least of all because few enough cars have chassis anymore.

Lynne, My suggestion is to give the folk below a call, they buy, sell, rebuild and build 2CVs, Meharis etc. even from scratch. They will give you all the gen on what paperwork is required to swap a 2CV chassis. They’re very friendly 2CV enthusiasts even though a relatively big operation now. They’re not too far from me and last time I visited time they’d even developed an electric 2cv which they were talking about putting into production!

Enjoy your car.

http://occasions.2cvclub.com/en/background/

See I’m a bit late with that nugget of wisdom regarding chassis.

It is possible to change a VIN number. If you are restoring a car, such as a 2CV, new chassis are readily available. A certain amount of paperwork is required, but it’s not correct to say that ‘you wouldn’t give a vehicle a new chassis’.