Disappointed in French vaccine progress

122,000 deaths in the UK… but they are now seeing a dramatic reduction in the death rate. 87, 000 deaths in France… but the death rate far from stable. Plus, a very successful vaccination programme in the uk - whilst France has been heavily criticised for their response (from within France). There are many wonderful reasons to be living in France - but to say “everyone is far better off here” sounds, at best, over optimistic to me. I recognise you may be saying this “tongue in cheek”, but of course, it isn’t a laughing matter. Lastly, I do get weary of seeing this topic (and many others on SF) as some sort of competition between the UK and France.

Thank you for your concern Vero, but my comment was not intended to imply that I have not enjoyed life over these last months - far from it. I feel very blessed to be where we are and to be with whom I am.
It was more in the context of Andrew’s comment about “most of us” going about our daily lives and “pretty much as before”,
My daily life changed radically on the 26th February 2020 when I stood behind someone I knew in the queue at the brico store who said his children had just come back from Venice.
My daily life will continue to be radically different until some 80% of the population has been vaccinated. If that does not happen, then I may not ever get my daily life “pretty much as before”.

Sorry, Sue, my “most of us” wasn’t referring to sfn people but to me, my family and the people around me (all French) here in France. I appreciate that for others here on sfn, especially in the UK are having more significant changes to their lives.
And Paul, I’m very tired of it all too, especially having to enforce day in day out the wearing of masks and distancing in my shop. It certainly isn’t a pissing competition, I was just posting a personal view. The French media talk non-stop about covid and vaccination (and urban violence but let’s not get into that one!) I’ve got BFM on as I’m typing this and totting up for the day. But the average bloke in the street, or certainly the majority that come through my shop and to whom I chat, aren’t that fussed about getting vaccinated, it’s more an acceptance of “well I suppose I’ll have to once it’s my turn but I’m not rushing into it”. I’m not saying who is wrong or right, just putting accross the “on the street” view of those in my part of France, and France in general according to the poles, about vaccination for those who are more exposed to UK media regardless of living here in France. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve not been on this site for a long time. Having got up to speed with recent topics, I was amazed at the amount of anti-British comment (from Brits)… so perhaps I misjudged the tone of your post - apologies. For the record … despite an early sceptic response , and some overwhelming clangers dropped by Boris and co, most people I know here in the UK are fully behind the Govt’s covid programme. The day of reckoning about dodgy contracts and poor initial planning is yet to come - but for now, things seem to be finally working well. Having known a number of people who have died from Covid, I would urge everyone to be vigilant and to fight against the laissez faire attitudes you mention.

2 Likes

I agree with Paul Rupa. Someone in the UK Gov has cracked the whip, stirred the troops and it’s going gangbusters.

Look at this! They are really trying everything!

One aspect of the poor start that UK made - it is a very densely populated country. How many millions inside the M25? 20? 8 million inside the North & South Circular. The Lancs and Yorks conurbations, Brum and the Midlands…

Once it got going, the spread was always going to be very rapid. France has about the same population on twice the land area and spread much less densely - not in pockets of many millions.

So, whoever is/are responsible for the progress of the vax programme in UK - K’s all round in the New Year hons.

2 Likes

You’ve been a member previously on this site Paul @Leon62 . Did you use the same name then as now? I’m just wondering because you are required to use your real name as part of the t&c’s of this site.
You’re the second returner that has cropped up recently @Elena17 . It’s very strange.
@cat @james
Izzy x

Haha… you sound like the CIA. I am Paul Rupa… last time I was on here… I was Paul Rupa. Not sure if I had a different user name. :slightly_smiling_face: Is it unusual for people to return to this site - or is once usually enough? What a lovely welcome…

Heavens Andrew, please, no need for apology. I just misunderstood. I greatly admire what you are doing, day in day out. At least I can keep away from less than thoughtful human beings. And I value your input because I realise it is much more the French viewpoint.

1 Like

Well it is true - for most of us working French people lucky enough still to be working, life is pretty much as before, only more circumscribed and stressful. Still up at 6 commuting in rubbish traffic to get to work on time then going home 12 hours later cursing because it is post-curfew and I forgot to get my asthma drugs, fill the car up, buy food…
Normal daily life for me is the above, rather than the stereotypical swigging rosé en terrasse and doing watercolours of pigeonniers or gardening or sunning myself or whatever. I think many people have between 6am and 6 pm to do lots of things they like, just not everything.

I’m sorry if I sound grumpy, I am rather. Life has to go on.

2 Likes

I am Special Agent Dizzy Izzy, at your service!! :smiley:
I don’t know if it’s usual for people to return as I’ve only been here myself for about a year (I think). Anyway, didn’t mean to be rude, just finding it strange that 2 returners make themselves known within a few days. Not seen it before I guess.
Welcome back Paul!
Izzy x

Lovely to meet you Izzy :slightly_smiling_face:. For info: I lived in France till 2017, after which I returned to the UK (Manchester). I’ve looked in on this group periodically but never rejoined till now. I rejoined as I became interested in the debate about Covid… amongst other topics.

1 Like

The last time I swigged rosé en terrasse it was a work night out, my watercolour work has been painting our chaufferie, and lying in the sun give me hives. Stereotypes are just that.

Sure working life is more continuously stressful, but all of us lounging retirees did do the same for 45+ years so we haven’t entirely forgotten. And we do do more than sip rosé even now.

I know :grin: I don’t think anyone does much genuine lounging really - I am just a bit fed up at the moment. The rosé swigging etc is a trope.

1 Like

I sometimes wonder how we had time to work :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:, we have never been busier since we retired.

Sounds like you need a “me” day. Vero’s daughters please telepathically hear and prepare pampering toot sweet.

1 Like

Encouraging…181,000 on Friday…must be record daily and maybe on upward projectory

Yes, and don’t forget that was as well as 56561 2nd doses - 237810 doses in total.

Let’s hope that it can be sustained.

Meanwhile in the UK just over 1million have received both doses and 21.8 million at least one dose. 1st doses slowing a bit more as 2nd goes up a bit - in fact slowing even before that but still > 2 million/week

I’m really pleased that the rate is going up in France now.

It should ramp up enormously now we’ve finally cottoned on to the idea of “vaccinodrômes” rather than everyone having to make an appointment to see their médecin traitant (over worked at the best of times). Just need enough pompiers to man them and enough vaccines too!

Yes, the idea that everyone would see their GP for a 20 minute chat and vaccination once all the ins and outs had been explained and thoroughly discussed was always ludicrous given the number of doses that had to be administered each day.

1 Like

They are using the Army to assist in the UK - take it that’s not the case in France?