Do not resusicate. How do I go about this in France?

I have been listening to the Joan Bakewell programme on Radio 4, “We need to Talk About Death”.
One week it was about making sure that you are not resusicated when you do not wish to be.
It was difficult in UK, but one of the options there does not exist, enduring power of attorney, so that your partner can prove that they can carry out your wishes.
Does Do Not Resusicate exist in France and how do I go about it?

Good point, Jane… me, I would talk with my pharmacist or doctor… whichever one I see first… and ask them about it… :thinking:

Perhaps someone on the forum has already got this organized…

Hi Jane it’s called an ‘Un Ordre NPR’ (Ne Pas Réanimer) and your MT can place a copy in your medical file - either manually or in your new online DMP. If you have a quick Google there is lot’s on info online however, it’s not something widely adopted in France.

Useful Link

Apparently, it’s becoming ‘trendy’ to have Do Not Resuscitate / Ne Pas Réanimer tattoos!

:sunglasses::sunglasses: I know a superb tattooooist… you could have a lovely golfing scene… :hugs:

1 Like

Yes, that was mentioned in the programme.
Apparently you have to have it on all sides so that it is always visible.
The problem is stopping the paramedics from carrying out what they see as their duty to resusicate.
You should also have notices at the entrance to your house, in the 'fridge, where some medications are kept and by your bed.
I will mention this to my doctor next time I have to go for a new repeat prescription.
Thanks Simon.

1 Like

I’ve read the lengthy bit about l’ordonnance de non-réanimation. Very thorough… very informative.

Regarding Paramedics… I think the DMP clicks into place, more and more…these days… and if such information is logged there, plus perhaps a bracelet… you will really have done the best you can…

1 Like

I’d be more than happy to offer a tattoo service to a select few… :joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It seemed very easy in the UK… as we had a DNR order for my mother in her last years. It sat on the table in the hall, which visitors found a bit gruesome and copies were in her medical file etc. Why did the programme consider it difficult? Or was that more to do with paramedics automatically trying to resuscitate?

We had a lasting power of attorney as well, but never needed to use it formally as the hospital accepted our decision to remove all but palliative treatment in her last days and let her go peacefully. Even with a lasting power of attorney I think it would be hard to get a doctor to do anything against their medical opinion? They can take family’s views into consideration but the final responsibility is with them.

But I’d be interested if anyone knows if there is an equivalent of an LPA here as again this was extremely simple in the UK - no lawyers, just download, sign & witness. As useful for access to bank accounts and so on.

There is tutelle and curatelle here but it is a bit complicated especially financially, you need to see a notaire.

Part of the problem is television programmes have conditioned people to think that there are two outcomes to resuscitation death or success Very few resuscitations are successful even in hospitals. If you do get them back they may not be the same as they were and it is a nasty, brutal business. Unfortunately sometimes refusing a DNR is selfishness on the part of relatives

4 Likes

@vero Shame, it’s so easy in the UK. I wonder if our UK ones would hold any weight…but no I guess not.

The medical profession are, in UK, obliged to listen to you if you have enduring power of attorney.
The problem seems to be that the medical profession need to be seen to be doing all they can, even as Nellie says, the outcome is not always good.
One lady called an ambulance as she could not get her peacefully dying mother into bed and then all hell broke loose.
Another lady was washing the body of her husband in the hospital when two policemen ran into the room and ordered her away from the body.
Because he had died in A&E the policy of that particular hospital was always to call the Coroner and have an autopsy.
This lady was left feeling as though she was a suspect in the death of her husband.
I was left feeling shocked at the lack of humanity shown by what is supposed to be a caring profession.

My husband had a “Directives Anticipées” which in the UK we would probably call a living will. It set out his wishes for when he reached the stage where he was unable to communicate himself, either because he was incapacitated or because he could no longer make himself understood in French.

It covered all sorts of things including religious convictions, what he wanted after his death and, more importantly for him, what he wanted at the end of his life. He was adamant that he would not go to hospital and did not want to be resuscitated should his heart stop.

A copy is kept with the MT and you keep the original to show to SAMU, les pompiers etc.

Your MT will have the form and an explanation booklet.

I’m happy to say that hubby never went to hospital after signing this (despite lots of cajoling and persuasion from medical professionals) and died at home as he wanted.

7 Likes

Mandy, it seems that both would make your intentions clear.
Just because you are ill does not mean that your wishes should not be respected.

1 Like

Yes, it was that she was taken to hospital, which was jot wanted.

The daughter wanted help to put her to bed, but it was all taken out of her hands.

I will look into that.

Of course, here we are not far from Dignitas!

Couldn’t agree more.

I wouldn’t want broken ribs and left soft in the head.

My dear wife who passed away last October had clear ideas on what she did, and did not, want. So I filled out the Directives Anticipees form for her and she read it and signed it. I then gave a copy to her Doctor, to the nurses who came in every day, and to the Pharmacy.

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear that you lost your wife.
I am thinking that perhaps for us out in the country, it would be good to let the pompiers know as well, as they are usually the first responders.

3 Likes

It’s no bad thing to let “the world and his wife” know about something so important to you… IMO.

It’s something that could well be an interesting a topic of conversation, with neighbours, friends et al … and you might be surprised by the number of folk who feel as you do…

2 Likes