Do these things happen to you?

I meant with reference to rope/chain/cables etc.

Flaking stone/paint/skin I do know about :grin:

Thought you might.

Though sorry about the skin, so far I’ve been spared that - no doubt recompense for having been an oily- skinned teenager (or result of discovering men’s moisturiser about twenty years ago).

1 Like

I have an idle fancy that I will write a book entitled "Ah! There It Is!" because I seem to say it so often these days.

Hosepipes are tricky. You have to twist the pipe on each turn otherwise you get to a point, about halfway, where the hose wants to twist the other way. You need to give a good full turn of the wrist to make sure you have given it a twist.

And, as others have mentioned re coiling other long, thin things, never start at the free end. Always coil from the fixed end

Peter Cook, in those ‘interviews’ chaired by Dudley Moore, used to refer to ‘my dear wife, whose name for the moment escapes me.’

The language of the mariner is virtually another language in itself. There are no ropes on a vessel. Generically it is cordage. Cordage that has a particular function - and all of it does - has its own name.

That which pulls a sail or yard up the mast is a halyard [haul yard]. That which is bent [attached] to the clew [the corner of a sail nearest to you is how I learned to remember it] is a sheet.

The name for the ‘bottom/front’ corner of a sail is the tack [the tack is not at the back]

While we are all at sea, if asked for your desintation you never say “I am going to Falmouth” You say “I’m bound for Falmouth” because ‘going to Falmouth’ implies you will definitely reach Falmouth. Things are not so certain at sea, so you say you are bound for a destination.

And so on, ad inf.

4 Likes

I haven’t read it yet but am amused at the title of Alec Guinness’s book - ‘My Name Escapes Me’.

1 Like

I find I have more problems with cables than I do with hosepipes. My hosepipes ‘kink’ and don’t seem to get knotted, but will experiment when warmer weather comes along.

My mother was very much “the grand duchess” and so was able to carry off calling everyone “my dear” in her final years when she could not remember their names, as in: “how lovely to see you my dear”.
Unfortunately I do not have her demeanour so am unlikely to be able to get away with it.

I bet you lose the manuscript :rofl:

4 Likes

Nothing to do with being elderly, I learned from a very young age that the 2 most valuable words in the English language were ‘mate’ and ‘love’. :rofl:

1 Like

And in my neck of the woods it was ‘me duck’.

1 Like

As I’ve said elsewhere
 I’ve never been able to remember names
 (except when I don’t need to
 :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:) so have a multitude of ways of greeting folk without them realizing my shortcomings
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have noticed that for some, these words are not connected. :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have a weird thing that happens to me! I’ll come home and dh has usually tidied up and within minutes things are untidy. Then it gets worse as all the little piles of mess that I make I literally stop seeing after a day or 2. A classic example if I’ve sat something on the stairs to take up, unless pointed out to me or himself moves it it could be there forever :rofl: ! It is so annoying and I’d love to live in a perfectly tidy house but even after years of trying it is still my bĂȘte noire !!!

3 Likes

That’s why I love looking after our gite. There is a moment before each new visitor when the cottage is perfect. :slight_smile:

I have discovered that a cleared and cleaned kitchen worktop or kitchen table is an absolute magnet for mess. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, we jest. But I can’t find what I think is the best photograph I have ever taken. Not on this laptop, anyway but I did buy this to replace one which had black horizontal lines appearing on screen. An IT-ish pal told me that the whole screen might die in one go, one day, so this photo might be on that one. I must look-see.

PS. Found it, after a lot of digging.

I had forgotten that I gave the original image the name of the location of the photo. :roll_eyes:

Subsequent variants had names based on the person in the picture who went by the moniker "Lockdown Leggie/Lockdown Leggy/Leggy Lockdown 
 None of these were the full size image, which I need if I am going to make a wall size print, turning it thus into ‘ART’. :smile:

It was taken on the first day that the timed periods allowed for walkabout for various categories of people went into operation in Valencia, Spain. I was out after the end of the ‘Old Farts’ time period because I knew I had a photograph pending.

This plaza is usully filled with tables and chairs. There are 4 cafes/bars around two sides, to the left and behind me. All closed, of course.

I sat on the low wall surounding the ancient olive tree. Normally I would be at a table there, at Cafe Lisboa, my ‘morning office’.

I knew that at some point someone would walk across the plaza from ‘bottom right’ to ‘top left’. They say, in photography, you make your own luck. I had the shot worked out in my head and was extremely lucky that the person who did walk thru’ the frame was this size, shape and colour. I couldn’t have wished for better.

It comes in 2 flavours, col and B & W. I’d be interested in hearing which, if either, you prefer.

In the real b & w, fettled in Lightroom, all will be monochrome but I will allow her blue mask to be blue.

I am aware of the connection but used separately they are not connected, but handy. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not so sure, for me it is the one thing sat there that then attracts more mess!!! A 100% tidy table or bench is safer from me. Years ago I did the ‘Fly Lady’ programme and she talked about ‘hot spots’, those places that attract clutter, maybe end of the work bench, entry table etc. Part of the programme was to firstly identify yours, then make part of your evening routine clearing them before they have the chance to get too big! Maybe I need to restart her, it did really help me!

1 Like

Ah, but I didn’t say it was me. I was being tactful. :grin:

1 Like

It’s called sods law :rofl:

1 Like

Does anyone lose muscular strength from time to time - I do and think it might be an allergy problem.

From time to time I have to renew a couple of butane gas cylinders for supplementary heating during EJP days, they are heavy (at 81 years of age), but normally have no problem hoisting them up into the boot, and later carrying them into the house. But a month or so ago I found them really quite heavy, very heavy, too heavy, and thought I was past it!

Today I did the same thing and had all my previous strength back, easy peasy.

What goes on here?

Just to add – I had an episode of loss of strength one evening when it was time to go to bed. I went to stand up from the settee, and couldn’t lift myself up onto my legs. I tried bouncing up and down on the settee and leaping up, but fell back. I had to go down on my hands and knees and use my hands and arms to lift myself up from a low table. The next morning had all my strength back again.

Weird!

Not that I am always the first to see a doctor, but time for a rdv I would think .

1 Like