Do these things happen to you?

Looks fabulous. Mind you, if I had a gite that size I’d have “staff”.

1 Like

Can’t be ‘the French mice’ then…

1 Like

@captainendeavour still squirming here at the 13 in 2 hours :scream: god only knows what’s running around outside my house. Before I moved into my house permanently, when I visited I’d often see evidence of rodents but since then had a push on hole filling. Think I found last night’s small opening where some mortar had come loose on the roof edge - sneaky little critters :roll_eyes:

I’ve got to replace part of my roof at some juncture, but must say, not at all keen about leaving it open while doing the work - god only knows what’ll be visiting :woozy_face:

Well, there was a thought to get the bed linen done by a laundry service - being 10 mins from Minehead you’d think there would be the option - but that seemed to fade away.

I know from many visits, some of several weeks [staying in my camper in the caravan field and the house from Monday morning to Thursday lunchtime], that the principle task - the bed linen - does get done in time for the next lot.

It’s a question of feeding several washing machines and dryers till it’s all done. Seems to work. - hard work.

Oh wow! I realise that not only do I need you to stay 2 weeks …”

Funny you should say that. A friend has reacted exactly the same way to those photos.

Wow Chris! your kitchen looks lovely, so tidy and organised!”

This was my kitchen in Valencia. My kitchen in Bristol was very much the same. When H & B visited Helen took one look and cried, “OH! I want a kitchen like this!”. And when Fergus and Libby visited, Libby came out with exactly the same! “OH! I want …. !”

Of course, neither of them would really want a kitchen like that. Not girly enough.

Women like to ‘put things away’. Which can mean simply shoving stuff in cabinets and closing the doors on them. To me a kitchen is a workshop/studio for food prep. Everything must be to hand and go back where it came from.

I’m no great cook, tho’ I enjoy doing it but this is how the pros organise things, for a reason.

As for design, we have a distinguished int designer in our SF midst - tho’ I doubt she would go for my sort of arrangement.

1 Like

Hahahahahahaha

They like to what? What is this verb?

3 Likes

It is the past unprinciple of “Stuff it in a cupboard and shut the door” :smile: :smile: :smile:

Sorry, wrong - it is the future intentional of “When I get round to tidying up”. :rofl:

A friend of mine has a 3m x 80cm of oiled oak [?] island worktop. Aprt from mealtimes, there is nothing on that worktop but a bowl of apples in dead centre. Not a letter, magazine … she is the daughter of a restauranteur. Maybe that’s why

2 Likes

Gordon Bennett… another blanket-description… “Women”

Hmm… does this mean I’m not a Woman, just because I have my everyday cookery bits and bobs (knives, ladles, sieves etc) hanging on my kitchen walls… and my cauldrons in plain sight in an alcove … and immediately to hand when needed… ??? :rofl: :rofl: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Stuff which has been “put away” is stuff which is rarely used…

Everything in my kitchen, that is used regularly, lives permanently in the draining board dryer, and I wash up as I go along during the day. Simply no room in cupboards or on shelves.

When our excellent weekly menage, Christelle, first came she put everything away, somewhere. Nearly got killed by the avalanche when I opened the first door. :rofl:

1 Like

At least he didn’t write 'the women ’ :smile:

3 Likes

I went out to open my post-box this morning and discovered a broken half key on my keyring – no spare key. Impossible to reach inside to my copy of Alec Guinness’s book ‘My Name Escapes Me’ inside, and pondered the possible necessity of wrenching the thing off the stone gatepost. The screw fixings could only be got at by opening the door.

Then, ‘Lightbulb!’ I had a tin box of 50 or more assorted keys collected over the years, and wondered.

Would you believe it, found one that fitted perfectly. What are the chances….!

Shall be off to get a spare key cut asap!

3 Likes

For future reference
You might well find the Postman/lady/whoever has a masterkey which opens your letterbox…
I’ve certainly seen 'em popping parcels in via the door… when they won’t fit through the flap…

2 Likes

OK, next time I see the post van coming my way I’ll ask, just in case…

Snap! WoB via La Poste delivered my used copy of that same book yesterday! Must be a job lot. I’ll send you my copy in a fortnight if you cannot rescue yours from the box.

I also have ‘A Positively Final Appearance’ to review when I’ve finished the first.

I anticipate some laughing out loud.
:joy:

No need thanks - I found a key that fitted from my tin box of assorted keys collected over many years.

My book arrived yesterday as yours did, and came from World of Books as well. Used paperback in good condition - I paid £3.70 in total.

1 Like

I can no longer handwrite! I’ve just written a birthday card to a friend and my writing scrawls all over the place. It was never brilliant but since 99% of what I write these days is on a keyboard, the little bit of handwriting I do is awful.
I have a cousin who writes beautifully - at some point he learnt calligraphy and his Christmas cards are a joy to receive.

2 Likes

If I ever have to write anything (occasional cheque :thinking:) I have to do it in capitals otherwise totally illegible :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

My father, London black cab taxi driver, had wonderful handwriting – lines of text running parallel across the page, very neat and clearly legible, but not me. Didn’t inherit that ability. I remember at school we had handwriting classes but to no avail. Yours sounds like mine.

Writing in capitals works ok though – is legible.

2 Likes

Yes but because it’s not what I’m accustomed to doing, I end up omitting letters :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My handwriting is scruffy but functional. The pen has quite a strong influence on how good or bad it is though.

2 Likes