Do we still need a Controle Technique?

Sorry…me again, well I did start the topic!
Ok…Mark, I couldn’t just leave it…had to phone the bank and Pacifica Insurance.
All details given to them again…including advice from this site.
They must think.I’m mad but two people have completely assured us “and Madam, the many other second home owners with french cars that Pacifica insures, that you are completely covered…there are no problems with this”

Will leave it there.
Many thanks to all.

This would not be connected in any way with the fact that you give them money?
To be fair, any offence would have been committed at the time of registration but if a claim was large enough can you be sure that your insurance company would not find a loophole?

Surely the issue here is that registration and insurance are two separate issues. Within the framework of the law is up to the insurers what risks they will cover. I assume there is no law that specifically states that an insurer must not insure an irregularly-registered vehicle. It is up to them what risks they accept, they set their own terms and conditions. Just because you were not entirely within the law it doesn’t follow that they would not honor a claim on the policy. If you have an accident whilst driving at 150kph, you don’t expect them to refuse your claim on the grounds that you were disobeying the law. If their T&Cs specified that the policy was not valid for speeds in excess of the legal limit, then they could. But nobody would take their policies out.

Doesn’t matter what the insurers say tbh. It’s what is written in the small-print of the underwriters.

Just as an aside If we take our French registered car to the UK do we need an FR label on the back ?

If it’s the newer type of registration, it’s already on the numberplate

we have the new number but its a voiture de collection with the black and white plate no room for any “Flag”

You’re going to need a FR/EU sticker ( or magnetic plate if you can find one)

French insurance can be a bit funny.
In the UK if you have an accident & afterwards tested over the drink limit your insurance would cover you but your renewal would be expensive. In France, in the same scenario, your cover at the time of the accident would automatically drop to cover 3rd party only if you had fully comp. At least that’s what happened to a customer of mine.
I suppose in the UK situation it would be difficult to prove that the driver was over the limit at the moment of impact where in France it would be considered logical that you were!

1 Like

Unless you’re thinking of taking the Wolseley out of France… you don’t need to think about "F"s with or without stars :wink: :rofl: and even then, I’m not sure…
I’ll ask my pal who drives his classic 2CV to Greece every year…

Except if you were breath tested at the scene and subsequently confirmed at the station the presumption in law would very much be that you were over the limit when driving.

I believe there have even been sucessful prosecutions based on back-extrapolating likely alcohol levels at the time of the accident where the test as been delayed (e.g. police not catching up with someone who fled the scene until later).


spoke with my pal…

YES I saw that he has a lovely “F” plaque on the bootlid of his classic 2CV… :+1:
No need for stars or such stuff (as per the modern immatriculations)… just something suited to the age of the car… (and the owner’s pocket)

The F plaque is completely separate from the classic black number plate which is way down below…

Just to be clear:
He confirmed that YES it IS necessary for French registered classic cars to have such a plaque… when driving out of France.