Do you fancy writing a monthly piece for a Facebook group

appreciate your point @toryroo but the decision whether to allow the link is surely vested in James and Cat (which is why I tagged them) :wink:

1 Like

Things have moved on. It is possible to build a knowledge base within a group under a thing called TOPICS.
In our group which covers 27 countries threads can be linked to the TOPIC. In addition to subjects like travel.
However it is not for me to defend anything. I am a newbie.

1 Like

Make your mind up!

This is the groups description.

We are After Brexit Brits (ABB) who are resident or are becoming resident in an EU27 country but retain a foothold in Britain.

After Brexit we all have a common interest as over time Britain may drift away from the EU and we need to create a strong community of Brits across the EU27. We believe ignorance of the EU led to Brexit so one of our objectives is to learn more about the EU and the 27 countries within it.

There are plenty of groups that are anti Brexit. This group is for those who support the EU and are in the process of moving on from Brexit.

We are friendly.

We are pro European but not naive.

We are not here to attack anyone including the British Government.

We use Facebook Messenger for direct communication between members and Admin

A newbie at running a Facebook group.

1 Like

After an innocent remark accidentally exposed a lie made by the leader of a Facebook group I was banned from the group so unable to explain the circumstances. So I avoid them now.

Yup well, pretty much as @toryroo said:

It’s like walking into a shop and saying to the customers “you don’t want to buy that here, come down the road to my shop”

Rude.

1 Like

If your enterprise is commercial then it would not be permitted. If it is just a hobby with no commercial interest then you can post a link.

2 Likes

James, absolutely nothing commercial. If you must call it a hobby, then my wife would agree. Thank you,
Link

1 Like

Also if you aren’t a FB user, I’m not and will not be…then you miss things, why doesn’t SF enable some kind of diary like that, interesting extension from beyond just a message board.

Out of interest, what is the reason for making the group private?

Control. With no possibility of inconvenient views.

I really don’t see the appeal of Facebook groups, especially if they are supposed to be imparting information. I belonged to one that was an alumni group and it was great fun to catch up on everyone’s gossip, but after a while became an absolute nightmare to follow with all the threads going off in so many different directions. Very difficult to follow for anyone who joined late.
The “stream of consciousness” thing is just so unattractive.
I MUCH prefer the organised database approach of forums - and even that can become confusing cf the current spate of bank account posts on here.

1 Like

James, we started as a public group but I received a number of requests to make the group private as some members were concerned about trolls.
So we became private.
This means only members can see content
Only members can write posts or comment
Only members can see a list of the members.

1 Like

You have a very valid point. That’s perhaps why Facebook introduced a thing they call topics which are a “little” like forum headings.
In after Brexit Brits we are using topics for example 27 different countries, etc etc including travel which is why I would like someone to write a few words of life running a Gite or B&B monthly France. It of course would be posted by the writer. That would go into the France topic so if a Brit living in The Netherlands was going to visit France they Mike explore the France topic.

hear hear, I share your views…I’m a relatively new SF user and now regular poster and find it interesting, amusing and informative, but the threads do become confusing and the content at times becomes irrelevant to the thread, often because users go off at a (frivolous?) tangent.
I wish there were two categories of thread …serious ones addressing problems and issues with replies and help and then more lighthreated ones.

Users often raise an issue that is a problem or worry only for some contributors to put in silly comments and then the original users issue are lost. Why cannot there be two category types…serious and chatty lighthearted and users be asked to treat them accordingly .

There is… and updated regularly

How very interesting this thread has been. So no Gite or B&B owners want or need any exposure.
Business must be good. Forgive me as that might sound rude,
I am looking for interesting content but no one wants to talk to 1,500 Brits who might be potential customers.
This is the link to our community. I have permission up thread.

SF is not a major site for gite owners.
Most are already on FB having deserted the marketing platforms in droves in the last few years and that is where the chat/info is to be found. I suspect your offer is behind the times. You could try Lay My Hat. But there too things are very quiet these days. Personally, I loathe FB and only use it very, very cautiously with a couple of closed groups.
Anyone already using social media with their own pages and sites, if they are at all interested in writing will be doing it on their own blogs etc to keep their rankings on the search engines up. And the rest of us will just be updating our own sites from time to time.

2 Likes

Thanks Sue

1 Like