Do you have a French cheque book?

We have reduced our daily limit to 450 just in case our cards are stolen/lost/cloned. And we also have a monthly limit. Only takes a phone call to change them again if need be, but I would be nervous with 15,000.

We have a monthly limit on our card and a weekly limit for cash withdrawal, however we can write as many cheques as we like way beyond the card limit, bonkers.

We use the cheque book for paying the oil bill and some people who do work want paying by cheque.
Otherwise we use our card.
CA too.

I’ve got 5 but don’t use them much now (used to be daily for one of the business accounts) and stopped accepting payment by cheque in the shop a few years ago.

I have one, (BNP) and had it as soon as we moved here in 2015. I tend never to use it because of not thinking I can as it had all but died out in the UK.

I have 3 cheque books, I CA, I Boursorama and 1 La Banque Postale.

I use the CA one a lot as I refuse to pay their high fees for a card to withdraw my own money. I write a cheque and pay a sum monthly into my Banque Postale where I can withdraw money over the counter without a card.
The Boursorama one hardly ever because I have a free card.
Th Bank Postale only if I want to draw money from my account, so not a lot :wink:

This post got me looking at my cheque book stubs, It seems I mainly use them for Pizza, Chinese & Indian food deliveries in Paris & paying local taxes & tradesmen in Burgundy.

1 Like

Well I’m trying to be as French as I can, so I only use a Cheque when I’m in the Supermarket. Like many other French people I like to shop on Saturday morning when they at their busiest, and then when its my turn to unload and pay, to talk to the cashier non stop to slow her down. I then search for my Chequebook, and then take time to carefully tear the Cheque out and hand it over. I then search for my other Glasses to check on the amount that the machine has printed, and then search for pen to sign it with. I then wait for my bill, and then start to pack my stuff away.

Ahhh sorry, I missed the part where I then stop and check that everything’s been packed nicely and that I have put my Chequebook back into a safe place, and check I haven’t lost my Glasses, whilst all the time stood in the middle of the main entrance doorway. If I’m really lucky there are times when I can find someone I know in the queue, and have a meaningless conversion while all the above is going on.

I think I’m slowly settling into France very nicely by following this example of how the French seem to conduct their lifestyle.

8 Likes

and it is a lovely life-style, isn’t it… no rushing hither and thither… just relax and go with the flow… :relaxed:

Absolutely, and I used to think life’s too short for foreplay :yum:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl: relax …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDtw2slxCY

Until you have to take the french authorities to the European Commission on behalf of all UK retirees, as I did, because they did not understand the EU regulations.
Stay vigilant.
French civil servants put their own interpretation on the rules and if you fall foul of them you have to have the guts to stand up for your rights.

Love it … many years ago some friends came to visit and were very stressed by the wait at the checkout. We tried to explain that it’s the way of life here and they were on holiday and in no rush. The response, “if this was Tesco’s we would have left our trolley at the checkout and walked out”. No pleasing some people !
It’s nice to know that you are settling in nicely and observing all the local customs Tony :rofl::rofl:

Absolutely not! Wretched time-wasting things IMO. And I have a horror of accidentally bouncing one and ending up in the Fichier Central of Banque de France. I feel sure there is a hooded monk in the catacombs who writes one"s name in Livre de la Honte, which is on open display in a glass case for all to see, and despise, :angry::rage:

Absolutely, I’ve even nearly got to grips with Apero, seems it starts at 5, but not yet worked out when it finishes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The time it starts might depend upon where you live. Never before 18h00 here and more usual at 18h30.
It finishes when the drink runs out :wink: No, seriously because most of my friends are French I am used to what the ‘rules’ ( for want of a better word are) we have lots and lots of discussions about all sort of subjects then around 20h00 - 20h00 ish, (unless it’s also a dinner invite ) we all drift away into our own homes .

1 Like