Do you have an unusual daily driver

It will have to be DREAL as the car was bought and imported direct from Japan.
At the moment it is only here because of the lockdown as we only use it when we are bringing people over for holidays or a large load of DIY, it is the car we use when back in the UK as we use the Seat Alhambra over here normally.

I’m lost… remind me… why are you changing the UK registration to French registration…???

It will be getting brought across here permanently at some point, of all the cars I have it is the one I like most.

2 Likes

If you are ever able to get it registered here in France it would be great to hear as rare Jap imports are known to be rejected.

That’s an amazing van. I am very envious.

My van, my daily driver until last Saturday 31st, lacks all the bling and chic of your Nissan. It does have a standard IKEA ‘day bed’ in it - very comfortable - and overhead lockers framed in rivetted ali angle and a fridge box. But no ablution facilities and a cooker not connected to anything.

It’s done a lot of service as my removals van… including the kitchen sink. I guess I’ll have to strip it out yet again for my removals SP > FR - Deus voluit.

2 Likes

You cant beat a van :+1:

Mine, a 2.5 TDi Movano [Renault Master] is on 220k miles, goes like a train, gives 35-38 mpg depending on load.

The massive downer - a reason to not like France - is that getting anything but a coach-built thru’ the CT is impossible. The dear old MoT doesn’t give a monkey’s what’s inside, as long as the mechanicles and emissions are good, that’ll do.

If I end up buying a suitable property I will strip out the camper bits to CT it and then put it all back in again.

1 Like

It just failed the MoT!

Steering rack needs replacing, hand brake too slack, new wipers, hazard switch intermittent, number plate does not conform [eh!? never had any other since 2004], rear brake binding …

Fortunately it’s living with a pal who is a mechanic and can do all but the rack, that needing a hoist.

Bet this would raise the eyebrows of the CT technician!
IMG_0680

3 Likes

The country cottage on wheels approach. Carting all that firewood about!

As I said to a pal who was to build a camper for his mum and bought a cheap job lot of 8 x 4 19mm Sterling board for panelling and furniture, “You pay for every 1kg at the diesel pump”.

He loaded it all into this van [a Luton, most unsuitable for a camper, in my view] took it down the weighbridge - 500kgs over GVW! The Sterling board went back on Ebay.

Those solid fuel stoves … How charming. How romantic. How bloody inconvenient! Of a chilly morning - and in the centre of the Spanish mesa at 2500m alt it gets more than chilly in Nov - I lean over to a panel at the side of my bed, press a button and there’s a whirring sound, followed by the sound of warm air being blown through truncking.

In 10-15 mins the space you see in those photos is nice and warm. I hang my cloths up high, so when I get out of bed, they are nicely aired off. All is most comfortable. Press the button, Ebbie the Eberspatcher shuts down. It’s no mystery why Eberspatchers [overwhelmingly] and other similar systems are standard kit in boats, coaches and HGVs.

Menwhile, back in the cottage on wheel, someone has managed to get the kindling alight, opened the windows to try to clear the smoke - and in 20 minutes might have a fire going. Another 30 mins might evince some warmth … and then they have to mind it while it burns down and out. Ridiculous.

Indeed, and Webasto too, the majority of my HGV days was before heaters like that but when they came I blessed the day, No more multiple blankets on a sleeping bag, or engine ticking over all night (ineffective anyway) waiting for the wind to change so that the exhaust (almost always on Euro trucks underneath) could gas me in my sleep.

But by the time I got to use one, late 90s, it could be set up with the alarm the night before to pump warm air before getup time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not so clever, years before, I decided to warm my cab, when parked outside at home to avoid the freezing starts each morning. I had seen my Dad’s low sump paraffin heater in the garage and bought one myself for the cab. Really looking forward to a nice warm cab in the morning, I instead climbed into the absolute darkness of blacked out windows. :astonished: :rage:

But Eberspachers work on diesel. Impractical for my little caravan of recent years, so I bought a very efficient heater which works on a small propane gas bottle. Each one lasts about 18 months. :slightly_smiling_face: