Do you miss foods from around the world - where do you get them?

Thanks guys looks good - I’ll let you know how I get on.

1 Like

I am happy to give you a sample so you can try out the taste next time I go through St-Go in 2 weeks, just mail me at the address on the grasspunk site if you are interested - bc@grasspunk.com . Cheers, Brent.

1 Like

I favour BRANSTON beans over Heinz…I think they are a bit more ‘tangy’ (perhaps they flavour them with the pickle ?)…still occasionally buy the small tins of curried Heinz beans, nice with soft, creamy,slow cooked, scrambled egg on toast.

The big mystery for many British sausage eaters is that the French ones contain decent meat and a lot less wadding.

1 Like

Not always! If you buy French sausages in a French supermarket they are almost always full of utter crap. And it is nigh on impossible to buy what I would term ‘decent’ sausages in a French supermarket. I’ve never managed it in 15 years of living here.

You can however buy both decent and utterly crap sausages in a UK supermarket. Obviously butchers in both countries will have better quality products but it’s always worth checking the ingredients as the vast majority of French sausages contain dextrose and numerous other nasties.

1 Like

@Aquitaine You’ve obviously never had a Toulouse sausage David - normally full of rubbish and a cholesterol nightmare! Delicious nonetheless :grin:

P.S. I just ordered some corned beef :yum:

1 Like

Not much any more, I do love Bovril though and I don’t often see that here. Most everything else is available these days.

1 Like

Nothing at all, 'cept real ale and an occasional, proper ‘fish and chip with squashy peas’, though a bar in Questembert does a reasonable F&C, no peas though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve not yet found hummus…one of my favourite foods in the whole wide world…I briefly missed vegetarian atora suet to make dumplings but a friend sent me some from British corner shop…I also missed aunt Bessie’s ready made Yorkkies…had a brief love affair with my George foreman in making home made Yorkies til it gave up the ghost…I can quell yearnings for fish and chips with super u’s fishfingers or fishcakes and oven ready chips but it’s not the same…but then I’m reminded that a literally awful handful of local fish and chip shops left me with the same craving for authenticity…I guess I can pinpoint perfect fish and chips to Friday nights when I was little…my dad would finish work pick us up and take us to the local chip shop…x :slight_smile:

Hummus is very easy to make at home…small tin of chick peas in blender, little bit of garlic, seasoning, lemon juice, olive oil and tiny bit of water. whoosh it up until your preferred consistency and there you are, and far cheaper than the bought stuff.

1 Like

Doesn’t it have Tahini?

1 Like

Duh! Of course it does…how could I forget! But that’s easily available in our backwater then surely it’s not hard to find elsewhere?

2 Likes

Make it! So easy and much nicer too. Same goes for mayonnaise, baba ghanoush, taramasalata, tzatziki etc etc etc

1 Like

I remember eating mangosteen in Bali, they were in season and people were gorging themselves so I joined in. Such delicious fruit. I have never tried to eat them here though, not sure they would travel well.

I like chutney, unlike the rest of my family, and I make it about once a year just for me. For me a curry isn’t the same without a dollop of chutney. And I love cheese and chutney sandwiches. I also like eating cheese with a chunk of apple, my kids join me now but my husband and his family just look on with a faintly superior air.

They do, surprisingly, because of the thick skins. My family used to live in Vietnam so after they came back to France my uncle, who loved them, used to get cratefuls of mangosteens flown in.

Thanks Vero, I’ll keep a look out. Don’t see them very often but if they keep their taste I will buy next time I see.

They are available regularly in Grand Frais, if you have one near you it would be worth a look.

1 Like

Must admit, I did miss oxo gravy, just a tiddly wee bit, Now, Wow it is available in our Super U now, gastronomic heaven is only 2kliks away :+1: :joy:
My problem would be finding foods I would miss, if, god forbid, I had to live in the UK.

Looks like I may have to invest in a blender… x :slight_smile:

1 Like

I make this for hubby. He likes a little cumin in his as well as LOTS of garlic. Tahini is stupidly expensive so I use sesame oil instead. Oh, and I always peel the chick peas before blending. I know it sounds ridiculous and an enormous faff but it makes the finished hummus much smoother and creamier.

1 Like