Do you reckon EDF has cut me off or is it a fault!

A bit rich from you to complain given your views about the lack of entrepreneurship amongst the French. I presume you adhere to the UK tradition that the artisan or the supplier should be required to wait until such time as payment suits your own cash flow. You didn't heed the advice of your bank manager. The fact that your mother was ill is simply nonsense. My mother died last year and it was very difficult dealing with her terminal illness from a distance but it didn't prevent my keeping my financial affairs and debts in order; i was a student in the sixties and despite the easy come easy go nature of the times it didn't stop me or my colleagues opening our bank statements or utility bills however frightening they might be. Other than what I have suggested hitherto my advice is buy candles.

Richard. I wasn't bashing anyone in particular. I was in business & know how important it is to maintain the confidence of one's clients & suppliers. The fact that you readily admit to "ignoring domestic admin for a few months, including my" French bank manager's plea for more cash" & ignoring the fact that "They have also been pestering me for a meter reading for about 2 years, but I've kind of ignored them." seems to say that you really didn't think through the consequences For those reasons I was amazed that someone as learned as yourself could find himself in troubles such as these. For your interest my widowed Mother in Law was recently found dead in England in bizarre circumstance but that didn't stop us making sure all the household accounts were paid up to date to avoid disconnection problems etc.

There was no offence meant in my reply & I understand that you are feeling as trifle raw, but if you wish to find offence I'm afraid that is your problem. I have offered my sympathy for your mothers death but I'm afraid the other problem appears to be one of your making. Don't pay your bills, don't expect any service.

Richard I honestly don't think Vic was bashing anyone. Lawyers or barristers!

Thanks for that Vic.... nothing like a bit of needless lawyer-bashing to while away a dull Sunday...as it happens we barristers have a terrible time extracting payment...very often up to 2 years after the work has been done....if you follow UK news you'll have seen scenes of barristers staging strikes outside the criminal courts....

Anyway.... there was nothing in my message to suggest I was complaining about the situation....simply that with no sign of the meter having been touched I was wondering if anyone knew how EDF would physically go about disconnecting the supply....I.e whether there was something I would be able to spot that would tell me whether there was a fault or a disconnection...

With the benefit of daylight I found the answer today, for those that might want to know for the future: there is a sort of giant in line fuse / plug type of troc just where the cable comes into the house.....they've taken the fuse out...

Anyway with every cloud there is a silver lining: I've checked into a hotel down at lac vassivere and I'm working up an appetite to go and enjoy my favourite restaurant overlooking the lake....

certainly have to contact them either by e-mail, phone, internet or in person, with all the appropriate papers like passport, account number, bank details (think about 'automatic payments - pre-relevements' ) I don't think it will be necessary to grovel, but you never know!! I suggest you check Gas (if you have it) WATER (normally twice a year) to avoid problems in the future as well.

Richard. Being a lawyer I rather suspect you know the answer to your question. Having ignored your banks request to keep your account in funds & EDF's request for a meter reading, EDF almost certainly have assumed you have "done a moonlight flit" & have cut off your supply. Sorry about your mum but the world still goes around & businesses have to be paid. I assume lawyers don't wait to long for their bills to be settled :-) My best advice to you now is to phone EDF & grovel. Best of luck!

At your service.......

https://residential.edf.com/residential-55833.html (you may have to cut and type to your address bar!)

I've had/heard various opinions about this English site!

I also think it very likely they have cut you off. They send me regularly reminders just 3/4 days after what they call 'the date limite'

http://residential.edf.com/customer-services/contact/contact-us-by-phone-208807.html

By the by , the final demand for 60 euros was dated Mid-June....so a bit prompt to have been cut off for non payment of that......