Does anyone live in the Gironde or Landes?

Read the other day in Sud-Ouest that half of all the property in St Jean de Luz is empty over the winter.

It is a holiday resort

I had a property in Moliets for a while, the area was busy for a few months in summer but otherwise deserted with lots closed down out of season. I would have preferred a resort with more going for it out of season plus finding doctors etc was tricky.

1 Like

Live in 33…24 just on the border 4 km from Gensac 33890 and the area is beautiful . Not too far from buzzy towns but lots of interesting people around. We have a chateau wine bar across the road and a new restaurant opening along the river.

I hear what you say Barbara but I think the point of the article was that apartments etc; bought as holiday properties were squeezing out the locals and it was vexing for many unable to find accomodation to see so many underused apartments. Maybe the answer will be to do what some other towns have done and impose an additional tax on such properties. Merry Christmas by the way.

Life David is about what you want it to be as long as you are healthy enough to do what you need to do.
Having been here for 15 years I can see that everyone can have a decent lifestyle even if it is simple
To find a person to clean a holiday home you have to be prepared to pay 20 euros per hr,if you can find someone.
The French pension is approx 3 times the UK one so I do think that the French should manage.
Additional tax …well perhaps that would make the renting very unattractive.
Have a good Christmas David…and all of you on SF

I have been to Moliets end of March/beg April, and mid-September, as well as in high season, and there is indeed a stark contrast in activity outside of the summer high season.

Ok for holidays but not practical for a permanent stay. Hossegor has a bit more going for it.

1 Like

I live in capbreton. Busier than it was when I first bought my house 8years ago. Extremely busy in the summer. Quieter the rest of the year. Lots of lovely cycle paths, lots of lovely walks. Beautiful beaches and forest. Free French lessons every week. Lots of yoga and other kinds of fitness classes. Nice group of expats in an English speaking club. 2 or 3 fitness studios, one of which has a swim pool. A couple of nice bio shops. The tidal lake in hossegor, next door, is lovely to walk around and I go in it year round for a dip. People like to speak English here, especially the young. As it’s good for the tourist business. Here’s 2 cinemas one within walking distance and one a short ride away in hossegor. People are friendly and chatty. Best ofbotheirldsas there are beaches and forest.

sounds idyllic… :+1:

Hi Linder,

A few months after I made this thread in 2020 we went on holiday to Hossegor and fell in love with it. It’s unfortunately out of our price range at the moment!

1 Like

You could try cspbreton, the poor neighbour, I think that seignosse and soustons are cheaper too. You could try banesse Marenne and st Vincent de Tyrosse that are further in land and Angresse too, then there’s saubion.