Does anyone understand this email about "assurance retraite"?

agree if it’s come from anybody other than ameli or France connect - very easy to see where it’s come from, nearly all these scam emails have weird email addresses once you hold the cursor over the sender’s address (the email address usually bears no relation to the real one) :wink:

All my emails come from ne-pas-repondre@franceconnect.gouv.fr which isn’t quite the same as your non-French address…

Just to add that France connect links impôts, assurance maladie etc. so if you’re living here you exist for them via your tax return and your carte vitale :wink:

1 Like

Good site to scam then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no idea what a “retirement account” is. Please can someone explain what they are. Thanks

Have you worked inn France?

One thing I noticed was this, as Sue pointed out the “from” address in her DM which is the plausible looking “ameliconnect.com”

Not being French resident1 I can’t say for sure but that looks at least a bit odd - it’s hosted by a company called Porkbun who are based out of the Pacific Northwest (Sherwood, Oregon) - most official French stuff uses French hosting & domain companies (normally government ones), not random US ones.

1] So I don't have an Ameli or FranceConnect account which might have generated genuine messages for reference.
1 Like

Well, well, well…

If you visit franceconnect.gouv.fr the first thing you see, highlighted, is this:

I think that probably nails Sue’s email as a scam one.

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I’ve sent you a DM.

No. Came here after I retired.

ah, ok - was just a thought. Idle rich eh? :wink:

There was a very brief moment - when we’d sold our house in the UK, the euro was 1.45 and we hadn’t yet started renovating the house we’d bought here. Didn’t last long. :grin:

1 Like

ameliconnect.com is not a valid FR government domain name.
Note the whois information shows a distinct absence of a FR tel number for the admin contact which is supposed to be obligatory under French internet domain name registration rules.

The domain was only registered yesterday :joy::joy:

1 Like

I didn’t think so having looked it up.

I’ll bet that “cliquez ici” goes somewhere dodgy.

I think the final conclusion is that the answer to this question is “yes, it is a scam”.

1 Like

@RicePudding @anon88169868 Thank you. Email now deleted and OH warned not to click on anything if he gets one as well.

What does concern me is that this implies ameli has been hacked and they’ve got my email address. Hardly reassuring for a govt department.

Perhaps not, Sue, as has been pointed out they use a computor to send the message to millions of random email addresses.

The key was the address it came from which Alex and Paul had gone into “.com” not the usual ne-pas-repondre@franceconnect.gouv.fr

1 Like

Agree - it does not imply Sue’s Ameli account has been hacked, just that her email address (along with pretty much everyone else’s) is on the lists that spammers use - it’s very much a scatter-gun approach to these things, they only need the email to persuade a tiny percentage of people to click on the dodgy link and they don’t mind that 100’s, 1000’s or even 10,000’s of these messages land on sterile ground.

2 Likes

It seems that l’Assurance Retraite itself is bona fide and they have a link from FranceConnect.

The link to the page shown is here and there was something about it on France3 news this lunchtime.

This is a link to the article referred to in the FR3 news item in English just for information… but nothing about the scam emails. Just a sprat to catch a mackerel perhaps - an opportunistic scam of something in the news.

I make it a rule never to click on a link in an email even if I think it’s genuine. Go to the appropriate website and check it out there. If you don’t recognise the organisation then it’s probably a scam. I’ve had no end of emails warning me that they are about to close accounts I don’t have!

Just another format of the scams that are arriving on a daily basis - make it a rule NEVER to clic on a ‘lien’. If in doubt do as you have done and check via your own log-on page.
It might be useful if members use this site to publish their scam e-mails and texts that they receive so others are kept aware and up to date of the latest scams circulating
My latest and repeated scam e-mail tells me “you have unread mails - click here to view them”. I have noticed that to date all my scam mail is via “orange.fr

Posted in a different thread here

1 Like