Dog barking and howling when alone in the house

.....or at least she thought she was and that's how we found out. Two or three times Muffin has been left alone whlie Nathalie has gone shopping or to a neighbours. The boys have been at home still in bed (no surpise there). She starts to bark then howl and when the boys shouted for her she went upstairs to see them not realising they were in the house and she calmed down. Except, that is, for today. She went upstairs and calmed down then came down and started barking and howling again. She's obviously stressed because Nathalie is not there. I would appreciste any thoughts and suggestions from the group. I'm more bothered about her being stressed if that is the case.

She is a Border Terrier and I know they are renowned for barking ( bloody loud too) but maybe there is something we can do?

I thought about maybe leaving her with one of the chews like the pigs ear type or something similar to take her mind off the fact that we have gone out.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

We had the same problem with our two dogs when not at home, one howling because of separation anxiety (at least that is what we and our dog trainer think) and the other barking when the first one started with howling. Solutions with pheromones and all suggestions for preparing the dogs before we leave home, didn't work. We didn't want to use punishment methods. I then for fun developed an app that uses our voice and commands (recording) that we normally use to calm the dogs, to respond to the dogs when they start barking or howling. That worked surprisingly well, we almost didn't believe the result. The dogs stop barking immediately and they stay quiet when we are not at home. They are even in better mood when we return. Because of the succes in our situation, I improved the app and placed it on Google Play Store for use by others. A small website offers more information: Dog Keeper

I think that post must have been removed Shirley, I don't see it.

The woman who owns the boarding kennel we use spent some time working in a rescue organisation and some of that with an animal psychologist. She really does know dogs. We can leave our two at home and they are as good as gold. The younger one might manage to get into the children's room if we do not close connecting doors properly and carry out a few dolls and cuddly toys without chewing or anything done to them. We have latches on doors because she can open them, even turn round doorhandles. The front door is the easiest of all, so we have to lock it if just going to the rubbish containers down the road and over night.

Both go wild when the baker or post arrives, plus a few other passing vehicles but the ones they know that somehow don't count. The kennel owner has explained the the older one, the GSD, is protecting us and the younger one just goes with him for the bit of barking and running about. The pack leader and a 'junior' pack member principle. The indoor bit is explained as they are secure in 'their' house so do not need to make a fuss unless somebody actually approaches the house other than us. Because they are used to being locked in with us and have to ask to go out during the winter or when it is extremely wet any season, they are well adapted to that. Getting the toys, teddies and dolls type only, is the younger dog collecting the smell of the girls for comfort more than anything else.

We always tell our mutt that " We're going out for a bit. won't be long, you're in charge" Giving her a bit of responsibility seems to work, we don't seem to have any problems. Mind you the postie says she kicks up merry hell when she stops her van outside. Maybe the mutt is taking her responsibilities too seriously!

You could try this product which is a canine pheromone (dog appeasing pheromone DAP) and the dog equivalent of Feliway which last we have found very effective. Not harmful and not all that expensive even in France.

http://www.newpharma.fr/brands/adaptil/03332.html?gclid=CJ6k-qnEm7w...

It's Ok as long as you remember that " Reality is an illusion created by the lack of alcohol" & as for blaming the dog, well!!!

Hi Shirley, I meant I had just read the blog and agreed with it. Dogs aren't ideally meant to be alone, after all they are or were pack animals until we domesticated them.

Nice one!!

honey i'm home...

yes, someone did just hack into my account - the wife! (she does this sometimes - usually after too much nice bordeaux... ;)

aktho' she's now telling me it was Cags and Plug!

Hugo is the baby boy - he'd fit in here with our 10 year old feline baby boy!

only one other suggestion Doreen - tell him he is looking after Daddy - esp as a lab he'll love the in charge bit

so don't ignore her - why have her in your home if only to ignore?

It sounds as though it might be the same cause/scenario then Stuart. I work from home so am basically here 24/7. That's all Hugo's known since he arrived so it probably still freaks him out. The others are used to it, no problems at all. I think I need to try the going out in stages routine starting with 10 minutes and building on it (if I can get away from the computer longer enough that is!). Sounds like it may adjust his way of thinking and will calm him. I'll give it a shot if you will and we can compare notes!

Has someone hacked into your account David!!!

ypu do not havve dogs own you. I am Alison. Dogs need humans like we need DJs! of course that girl is stressed and sod off talking about what dogs need, Us dogs and cogs need love

nd of

Just read the blog and I agree they are not meant to be left alone all day. My wife doesn't work so that is not the case for us. It's just when we go shopping or the like.

No I wouldn't ignore on leaving... send to his\her bed with a food stuffed kong as previous post, but just be calm yourself. On return, if the dog is manic and jumping all over you then stand still, look away. As soon as dog is calm immediately reward with some 'fuss'. If he starts going manic again, stop look away. Don't move. Eventually..... and it will take time... he will learn that calmness = reward manicness ( is that a word) = getting ignored. This method allows the dog to learn for himself and that is a very good way for him to achieve. Good luck.

This is called separation anxiety. If you do an internet search for "dog separation anxiety" a great many different remedies can be found. Whether or not they work in any specific situation is up for debate and experimentation.