Dog insurance - third party liability for non residents

Hi all. We have bought a holiday house in France and have a dog. We will visit approximately 6 times a year and cannot be classed as residents. Our French household insurance will only cover public liability in relation to your dog if you are a resident. Our UK pet insurance does not cover public liability outside the UK. We used to obtain pet travel insurance for each trip from E&L but they told me that this product is no longer available. It seems to me that the only option is to cancel my UK pet insurance and obtain one which covers third party liability abroad. The negative is that no pre-existing conditions will be covered! Our current policy covers everything else in relation to travel abroad, just not the public liability part. There do not seem to be any other dog travel insurance/third party liability products. Is anyone aware of household insurance policies for non-residents that would cover third party liability in relation to the dog? We have never had to claim in this regard, but just want to be covered in the unlikely event of anything happening. Many thanks!

Hi Nicola,welcome to the forum.

Please can you correct your Registration to show your full name (first and last). If you are not sure how to do this, simply put your full name on this thread and I will do it for you.

cheers

Re your dog:

Sounds to me as if you need to get Travel/Holiday type insurance for your pet. Can’t believe that folk who take their dogs abroad would NOT have some form of insurance…

You will be taking out travel insurance etc for yourselves, I presume… so the dog might be a simple addition to that policy… seems feasible… worth asking your Travel Insurers…