Doggy People's Advice Request

Designer mongrels often bred in dodgy circs. But chacun son truc.

Glad your sister sorted it out, and hope dog and baby/child are best of friends!

I had not. Suppose I considered them ‘designer dogs’ but I’m open to all suggestions. Not that I’ve ever got to know a poodle first hand, but both spaniels I knew were, indeed, clever.

Depends on whether you get an adult or a puppy. With a puppy you have no idea what you are getting. An adult you have more of an idea. As I said before I am in some facebook groups for separation anxiety and there are lots of cockapoos in those groups.

My previous dog was a total angel (I had no idea at the time) I had him from a tiny pup until he passed away due to cancer at 12 years old (far too soon).

Same home. Similar set up but now dealing with two youngish dogs separation anxiety and resource guarding and reactivity and it really isn’t easy.

So what I am trying to say is don’t buy a cockapoo puppy thinking it will solve your problems. A puppy is an unknown and also given the situation at yours only an adult could potentially cope.

There are dogs that are trained specifically for autistic children and adults. At 19, your son is a young adult. You might consult these sorts of agencies for advice. It’s amazing what the right match of a dog and person can do for quality of life!

Here’s one such agency website—they may know where to steer you for people in France.](https://www.pawswithacause.org/what-we-do/assistance-dogs/service-dogs-for-children-with-autism/)

I would also check with French dog trainers in your area.

Hope this helps!
xx
Pam

2 Likes

Hope that the link below is of use.
I find it interesting that the author has suggested several giant breeds: Saint Bernard, Bernese Mountain Dog etc. If one is seriously considering a giant breed, then the Irish Wolfhound may be worth looking at. The breed is very affectionate, loyal and totally non aggressive: extremely tolerant of small children.

I agree about the Wolfhounds Nigel, but would not agree that they are any more gentle than any other breed. I used to dogsit for a lady who had 25 dogs on her large estate and that included 14 Wolfhounds and Deerhounds. All were gentle but they are big, heavy and fast dogs and on the morning walk with them I learned to walk in a straight line even when I could hear them thundering up behind me. I learned never to step aside because their intention was to rush past as close as possible without hitting me. If I had disregarded that I would have been knocked flying. Something to consider with a non dog savvy person.

1 Like

Hi Caroline,

One more place to check for advice is on Twitter –

For example here;

This is to help support you, the caregiver, with your autistic family member by matching your family with the appropriate dog helping with training/handling the dog so it’s a win/win for both of you and your new four-legged family member.

You can also use the hashtag “#” on Twitter and look up #assistancedog #autism #servicedog #France, etc.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Pamela

1 Like

The reason many rescues will ask for it to be the only pet, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not friendly. Rescue dogs are often untested and many rescues like them to have a one to one relationship with the adopter. I have rescue dogs from the UK, Spain and Romania and the Romanian dogs are probably the most accepting of everything. This is probably because of the hardship they’ve endured. I guess a lot depends on the severity of your son’s condition and the character of the dog. In your situation, the main advantage of a rescue dog, is that you generally get full rescue back up. You’ll get the opportunity to meet a prospective dog as many times as you need and if it doesn’t work out, the rescue will take the dog back. You can’t do that if you buy.

1 Like

A good breeder will always take the dog back.
If the breeder won’t then I suggest that its more akin to a puppy farm.

1 Like

As so many have said here it all depends on the character of the particular dog. Our little cocker was unbelievably patient I trusted her widen children surrounded her to pet her. Yet at the vets they would wanted to muzzle her because of their knowledge of the breed.

Fun fact. Someone told me that ginger cockers were more aggressive than black. No proof of this of course but it’s possible.

Thanks Nigel. I had just spent a fascinating hour down the Google rabbit hole of dog breeds when I saw your reply. A wolf hound is tempting. Even though my husband visibly blanched when I suggested it!!

Thanks for your advice

Thanks for this suggestion. I followed the links you posted and such a dog would certainly be a gift to any individual with autism.

Unfortunately later my laptop gave up the ghost so I haven’t yet found the french sites!! Should be back on the internet soonnow

Really appreciate these links.

1 Like

Thanks again Pamela

1 Like

You’re welcome, Caroline. Like the old adage, “measure twice, cut once” in carpentry, I think taking time to really assess your needs and what works for your family makes sense when adding a four-footed family member.
All the best in your quest!
xx
Pam

I’ve really appreciated all the advice from yourself and others. Not yet got a dog, definitely going to get one but, as you say, taking it slow is the way to go.

I shall post a photo on the other thread once we make the final decision. Also, my OH wants another chartreux cat. So we’re bumping up our animal quota again!!!

Best wishes and thanks to all the lovely people who come forward with their honest, thoughtful, considered advice. You’re a great group of people!!!

1 Like