Doing your bit for the environment

I was just thinking about this - don’t know why, it’s never on the radio - and did a mental environmental audit.

We use 100% renewable energy.

We’re cutting down on meat.

I’ve started buying, where possible, second-hand (for example, the replacement Poang seat cover was second-hand, albeit lather, rather than new).

Anyone got any useful tips for someone keen to do more?

1 Like

Cut out meat completely, then stop consuming dairy products.
Stop using anything that burns fossil fuels.

1 Like

I was thinking gradual rather than extreme :smiley:

2 Likes

Grow your own food, keep chickens (but don’t tell Badger), create a rainfall collection system to cut down on water usage, sell your unwanted clothes and possessions, don’t go on holiday unless you can use public transport, walk rather than take the car where possible, the list is endless.

3 Likes

I’ve done that but my Border Collies are raw fed so that’s kind of 50/50….

One of the most disheartening factors for me has been the unquantifiable use of single use plastics generated by “covid” in the form of single use masks and test kits etc…

A friend of a friend of a friend was saying how he recently had a job driving boxes and boxes of PPE including disposable gloves for destruction…all NHS stamped
and all in date….

Other than that…

Avoid buying fast fashion and feeding slave labour and child labour and make purchases that will last…:thinking:

2 Likes

The single most important thing is to campaign and vote for political parties that take environmentalism seriously. All of us doing what we can in our personal lives is of course important - but it won’t be enough unless governments also take the necessary action.

9 Likes

Don’t buy things in plastic bottles (water, toothpaste, shampoo) and get as much as you can en vrac.

Eat seasonal veg that hasn’t been airfreighted from far away.

5 Likes

I agree it’s important — but voting for the Greens at the moment is pretty much a wasted vote.

2 Likes

As an individual you can only do so much, thereafter you’re relying on governments to do their bit. So can someone explain the need for 25000 people from all over the world to descend on Glasgow this week the majority of whom will fly in with a massive environmental impact on the planet they’re supposedly trying to save.

4 Likes

But while ever these foods and products are on the supermarket shelves people will buy them. Not buying them amd thinking that you are saving the planet is pointless.
Action for change must start at the top (government) to stop these practices which is pretty unlikely IMO. I think this will become evident with the COP26 thing this week.
Bojo throwing out one liners about 1 minute to midnight and likening the situation to the fall of the Roman empire!
Funny how his stance has completely changed and he is now Mr Green. He has no thoughts of saving the planet, it’s all for saving him.

How do you buy toothpaste en vrac?

2 Likes

I can only think that for some amongst them, it’s justification of position, responsibility, & salary.

Sadly time is not on our side, so “extreme” becomes necessary.

2 Likes

https://keepingourplanetalive.ca/blogs/blog/how-bad-is-toothpaste-for-the-environment

2 Likes

Absolutely fascinating… well done.

I shall definitely by buying one of the alternatives talked about in your link…

Sadly, I reckon OH will take more convincing… he insists on his own “preferred brand” … but I’ll work on him…

1 Like

Yup, me too.

but… he is already trying to reduce his impact on the environment and he’s a good person… so I’m confident I shall be able to find him an alternative to which he will (hopefully) become accustomed.

And this amongst many reasons why humans are going to become extinct after we have finished destroying most of the planet.

I will be onto sun cream next!

1 Like

ah… already ahead of you… :wink: we don’t use 'em any more… we take evasive action :rofl:

1 Like

We need vitamin D for our immune systems as has become widespread news during covid, yet everyone is told to slather sun blocking crap all over. That blocks the adsorption of vitamin D and pollutes the oceans.

Using man altered crappy oils like rapeseed vegetable and sunflower oils damage our immune systems but are really cheap so thats why they are put in so many industrial produced foods. High in linoleic acids these are bad for us and promote skin cancers. What do labs feed mice and rats on to promote cancers? Linoleic acid. Greedy mass produced food companies.

Then the washed off chemicals enter the water system and the sea where it wipes out coral and othe marine life. Several countries have banned the worst offenders.

2 Likes