Don't forget to put your clocks back 26/27 Oct 2019

2 Likes

I’ll be in France from the 26th, always nice to get an extra hour’s holiday. :slight_smile:

I see the move to abandon daylight savings time has been put back to 2021.

Don’t worry I’m sure it will be put forward in 2022 to even things out! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
About time this happened imo, I can’t stand all this faffing about. :grinning:

1 Like

Here in England, we’re putting ours back to 1946.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Know what you mean - but, as discussed previously CET is hopeless for Brittany (and must be worse for Western Spain) - doesn’t get light until gone 9am in the winter, even with DST.

I suppose we should be grateful we’re not in the North or South poles where midsummer they have 24hrs of daylight :sun_with_face: and midwinter 24hrs of darkness :night_with_stars:
:exploding_head:

Perhaps alongside chlorinated chicken, the US will demand the UK adopt EST as the 51st (non-contiguous) State

I went to school in Scotland and in the depths of winter it got light about 10, then dark again about 3.30.

1 Like

I remember being in the north of Scotland as a child too and it was horrible, but I do remember the lovely twilight that lasted till late in the summer.

1 Like

Absolutely, I used to sneak out of my house with my friends to go and play tennis at 4 am, or we’d actually climb out of school and go running or chuck a lax ball around on the beach - so much energy with so much sun :grinning:

1 Like

3 Likes

How many clocks/watches/appliances will you have to manually change ???

My dear old grandfather clock will have to be stopped for 1 hour as it cannot be turned backwards and the date dial has 31 days in every month so I have to adjust on the short months.
It is an 8 day clock and each week when I wind it up I always marvel at how precise the mechanism is. It is 270 years old circa 1750 and still keeps perfect time, unlike me :rofl:.
It is a family heirloom but I often wonder if anyone will take it on in this IKEA age but the grandchildren love it so there is hope.

2 Likes

I have my grandfather’s grandfather clock with me here in France, John. Don’t know how old it is, but certainly probably only half of yours! . . . an Edwardian clock. But it is the heart-beat of the house, that comforting, relentless soft chime throughout the night (it chimes every quarter of the hour). It reacts to the extremes of temperature and humidity down here in SW France [Dordogne], - sometimes just stops - but with a little tlc off he goes again. Interestingly, these occasional silences are more intrusive than the chimes . . . .

1 Like