Double glazing units

I have wooden double glazed French windows and the double glazed units need replacing as they have blown. Does anyone know where I might purchase these? Plenty of people are prepared to charge me €4000 for a new door and double glazed unit, but It’s not necessary.

I do not know from what area you are searching, but around here there are two window making/fitting companies that will make new d/g units to whatever size one would require…and fit them if necessary. I have had need of them a couple of times and their rates were very appealing. Your local Brico can prob offer the same service.

Most brico sheds (not bricodepot) will get them made. In my experience, its a bit of a palaver, take your measurements in (you dont want them tight, take 5mm off height and width), including glass and gas thickness. They will eventually come back with a quote, go back and approve quote and pay deposit, go back and collect - expect the process to take at least 4 weeks. I was pleasantly surprised about the price though, think a 450 x 1100 pane was about €40.

I was quoted an absolute fortune to replace my old single glazed windows and doors (30 in total) with double glazed so I bought the double glazed units I needed from Allovitres.com - very reasonable prices and they gave me free delivery even though they were quite a long way from me (700km).

Low emissivity, argon filled etc or just std?

Up to you, just specify when you order. Mine were "standard " as I was going to move. I had 26 panes to change so I did them in batches of 3 or 4 every couple of months. I left the last one for the new owners to change :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice thanks, I will take a look as I need to do all the single glazed doors and windows to double glazing and V glass was too expensive.

Thank you, I’ll take a look. I’m in Saone-et-loire, miles from anywhere.

it is imperative to use neutral, non-acetic silicone. Just as they say and to remind people doing their own.

1 Like

Agree totally, had to replace windows in the UK because the installer had used regular silicone sealant. The regular stuff contains chemicals that attack the seal around the double glazed unit so they leak and fog up.

1 Like