Driving in France With Diabetes


This is a question for anyone on the Forum who is insulin-dependant diabetic as I am. We intend to move permanently to France but do not have a house yet. I have a licence in UK that is renewed every 3 years after completing a questionnaire about my diabetes, its control, hypoglycaemia & my eyesight.

I have Googled the regulations in France but have not found clear guidelines specific to France-perhaps they are the same as UK?

Thanks in anticipation,


For me that would be lot worse! Oh those falsettos!

I thought the title was "driving in France with the BeeGees" I should go back to spec savers

Thanks Lesley.

We are 'resident' in our Hymer at Parc Verger in Haute Vienne for 3 months & have our CA bank a/c on the strength of that. We are both retired & I've got my S1 coming here at the end of the month. I've got stacks of insulin & hypertension tabs but may have to buy some more Accu-Chek Mobile Cassettes, thanks to my old pharmacy being awkward.

I have been insulin-dependant diabetic for over 50 years, my BS averages are within a normal range & have not seen a diabetic consultant in years. Do you think I should here? I shattered my tib & fib in April 2014 & they warned me that my leg might have to be amputated. However, I exercise a fierce control over my diabetes & all was well. I eat a low CGI, low carb diet & use 'self-research' monitoring to stay OK.

Thanks so much for the advice regarding the paperwork.


Hi Roger, i am an insulin pump user and managed to get one supplied brand new here with no problems at all but there are a lot of things to consider for someone coming from the UK to live permanently here now unless you are in receipt of a UK state pension in which case it should be pretty plain sailing for you.
If you do have a UK government pension then yes you will need an S1 form from Newcastle but make sure the date does not start before you plan to move as the crossover may be a bit complicated.
Once you know when you are coming get your S1 and before you leave the UK get as many supplies as possible ( they cannot give more than 3 months worth in the UK but if you tell them you will be travelling you may be able to wangle a longer supply. once you arrive here register with a GP and they should give you a registration form. Take that along with your S1 form, your passport, birth certificate, a RIB from your cheque book, bills to prove you live here and a lot of patience to your local CPAM office and with any luck in a few weeks you will have a carte vitale. Your GP will need to complete a form which they send to CPAM to make sure you are not charged for your diabetic medication and consultation. Once this is all done take that form back to CPAM and get your carte vitale updated.
In the mean time choose a specialist ( for diabetes they are endocrinologists) go to the hospital and make an appointment to see them ( usually within a few days) and that is that.
If you want an insulin pump ( it changed my life and I am so much fitter happier and better with mine - 5 years in March) just ask the specialist and they arrange it for you.
I cannot fault the health service I have received here which has been far better than anything I ever got in 56 years in the UK.
I think it is possible to send personal messages through this website if you need a more specific discussion re your diabetes.

Bonne chance

Oh, that's great Lesley thank you. I use NovoRapid, Glargine insulins & an Accu-Chek Mobile Meter to check my BS plus a low-carb diet.

One of the things I'll be sad about is losing my personalised R1...plate on our Hymer-never had one before! Just vanity, but I do enjoy it.

I should get my S1 sent to the campsite at the end of this month so I can start the health rigmarole. Saw a coup de coeur house today but SWMBO had objections so our house-hunt may go on for a bit!

Thanks so much for keeping me posted.

All the best,


Hi Roger
I am a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic and have lived here for the last 2 years. I will be renewing my driving licence this year so will find out the latest and let you know. I have been through the whole gammut of registrations with an English speaking GP, getting a specialist at the hospital, getting my carte vitale and top up insurance and replacing my UK insulin pump with a French one so would be very happy to give relevant and more importantly bang up to date information or indeed support and advice if needed


Thanks Andrew.

For the time being I'll continue with my existing UK licence-no reason to do otherwise. After we buy a property there will need to be changes in many ways, but that's for the future. Seems similar to the UK system anyway.

not as clear-cut as I thought and it'll depend if you exchange your licence or not - If you keep it you'll have to keep on declaring it and if you exchange it you'll have to declare it when you fill out the paperwork. More info here ;-)