Driving license exchange

I know it’s not funny Damian but try not to worry. If you think about things logically there are 0000’s maybe tens of thousands of Brits in the same position and there is no way the French authorities are not going to sort this out.

2 Likes

My thoughts too.

I’m refusing to worry about this one…

I’ve too many other things to worry about which are much more pressing.

And don’t forget the French in the UK. Not sure if there are still more French in the UK than British in France, but there are certainly still a lot!
So pressure on both sides to sort this out.

I wasn’t sure if your question was serious or not Timothy, hence my tongue in cheek reply.
Of course I continue to drive on the basis that the reality is far divorced from the principle. My UK licence expires in 2024 so like others I am okay until 30/6/2021 or 31/12/2021 or whenever it is.
If things are not looking promising at a later date I will have to take the French version though I believe we will only be obliged to take the theoretical and practical portions which I hope would bring the cost down considerably from the Euros 1,200 figure mentioned elsewhere. I have to be able to drive because of work. When the roads become passable I will pop into my local driving school to get the lowdown.
I will advise of my findings here of course. Cheers.

That is for x hours of code plus a minimum of 20 hours of driving lessons in a dual control car. Plus the inevitable frais de dossier, test booking fee etc. I really don’t think people who already have a driving licence and have been driving legally for ages will be made to do that. Anyone is free to book a test and just do it, as far as I am aware. French learners have to produce their ASSR certificate and their JAPD certificate - this is yet another thing that doesn’t apply to old foreigners. Chill!

Hi Vero…you are correct. As I said previously we ‘old foreigners’ only have to take the theoretical and practical tests.

Not that I am likely to need this info for the foreseeable future, but can I just turn this round for a minute and ask if we can drive in the UK on our French licences?

1 Like

@Spardo

“”" Driving in the UK with a French licence

You can use your French licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test. We will update these pages if there are any changes to the rules, as soon as information is available. “”"

this is the latest from the UK govt site… as you will see from the link… just scroll on down, it’s near the bottom.

1 Like

Thanks Stella, I do have those updates but I must have missed that as not being relevant at the moment.

Useful to know. I wonder if those 2 numpty Devon and Cornwall coppers were put right on that the several years ago when they stopped me in the middle of the night and said everyone driving in England needs a UK licence. :roll_eyes: :laughing: :laughing:

And here is the self assessment tool. If you go through it you get to bit where it says you have to exchange after 12 months, and implies that this is still possible for £43. Whether when you go on to DVLA to do so they then say the same as here that exchanges are currently blocked I don’t know.

How did things change on 1st February?

Anybody know if this will apply to those who applied for swap before the end of the transition period?

Since the UK was still technically in the "espace européene"at that point I selected that option for the exchange. When I go on the ANTS site now it says my request is “en cours”.

That should have read 1st January Catherine.
Here is the link:

This is the link on the ANTS site:

https://permisdeconduire.ants.gouv.fr/FAQ-Particulier/Permis-de-conduire-etranger/Je-souhaite-echanger-un-permis-britannique-est-ce-encore-possible-malgre-le-Brexit

Contrary to what some people hoped for, there will not be any change to the process for people holding a British driving license. So if you are driving on a UK license, I would suggest getting the test done and dusted and then you can forget about it.

Hi @DeTolkTW

Have you heard something new… the EU/UK are yet to make a decision according to the British Embassy in Paris…

I’m not sure you realise how long it currently takes to actually book a test.

Personally, I refuse to stress… at least until the UK/EU governments have discussed and told us their decision…
and bearing in mind the mess ANTS was in last year… I reckon a reasonable way through the mire will be on offer for those of us who were resident in France last year…

Probably quicker and easier for those concerned to take the test in Ireland :wink:

2 Likes

I believe from what I have read elsewhere this applies to British people who become resident in france after 31/12/20. Those who were resident before and applied to exchange before are within the withdrawal agreement and licence swaps are still being negotiated.

I read the same thing Jane.