Driving with pre existing medical conditions

Hi All

I am a French resident and was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. I was controlling this with pills but have been taking Prednisone for another condition which results in my having to swap to insulin.

In the UK if you are an insulin dependant diabetic then you have to register with DVLA. I contacted DVLA and told them and they wanted my GP,s contact, as soon as I said it was in France they said they were not interested.

I asked my MT in France and he said there were no restrictions on driving in France with Diabetes, I have searched the French driving sites and can find no mention of medical condition causing driving restrictions, has anyone encountered any such restrictions?

Regards

Nick

I have Type 2 diabetes (now entirely diet controlled) and a French permis and I am not aware of any restrictions on my licence. When initially my condition was controlled by insulin, I am certain if there had been a restriction, it would have been pointed out by either my endocronologist and/or my MT.

Hi Graham

Thanks, that is my thought too, but for safety I do check my bloods every three hours if I am on a long journey.

Regards.

Nick

1 Like

I presume you still have your UK licence then Nick?
AFAIK, there is no requirement to disclose your condition when applying for the French permis.

Hi Graham

Yes both my wife and I sent off for French licences in March 2019 , in June 2020 the paperwork was sent back. It worked when the Prefecture did it the lot in Nantes are completely useless.

So now waiting for 2023 to change them.

Regards

Nick

1 Like