Droit d'access - for drains!

Our house has a gite, the waste water system of which enters our house, joins with the waste from our house and runs under the house to join the main drain outside. No problems there.
However, we want to sell our gite and wonder what could be the ramifications in the future should there be a problem such as a blockage for example. I wonder if some sort of clause can be written into the sale which safeguards the owners of both properies.
regards
geoff

Hi Geoff…

We sold a house and kept the garage… so not quite the same situation as you. However, there were “shared” water pipes and, at first, we thought a simple servitude would do the trick. However, after much discussion with Notaire et al… we plumped for getting new pipes laid so that the house had its own, completely separate pipework which did not encroach on the other property in any way.

Is there any way at all that you could envisage doing something similar regarding your gîte ? the costs can be deducted from any profits… I believe… :wink:

1 Like

thanks Stella. I really wanted to avoid this route if possible and was hoping that some kind of right of access or shared maintenance obligation was possible.

Servitude is possible… but by sharing the drain-run… you put both properties into a “poor” situation in my view.

If I were a potential Buyer, I would not want to have shared-drains possibly blocked by someone else (you)… and you, likewise…do you really want to run the risk of whoever Buys… causing you problems when/if they block the drains at some point … :roll_eyes:

You can bet, sure as eggs are eggs, one or both parties will come to regret today’s arrangement… so my advice is to look at alternatives.

1 Like