Drought/Secheresse 2023

The only hiccup I would mention about the link to VigiEau

is that unless it tells me “no need to worry… no restrictions are in place…”
It does NOT give the full picture… “at a glance”

If it tells me Restrictions are in place…
I have to click on each section to check what the individual restrictions actually are…

for example… at first glance I might think (I did think…) that St Denis is only restricting watering the garden… as that’s the only one “lit up”…
but on clicking, Remplir, Nettoyer, Alimenter des Fontaines… we get the full picture… just bit by little bit… each section is restricted… !!!

As Always… unless there are NO Restrictions… check with your Mairie/Prefecture to see what fine tuning is going on around You… after you’ve clicked all the buttons on the link… :wink: :wink:

Saintes… Charente-Maritime… have a big problem…

The ‘flat’ peaches from Spain are veritable flavour bombs. I used to buy them in ESP rather than the round ones and they are wonderful. I always hold the peach in a piece of kitchen paper because juice tends to burst out all over.

I’m pleased to see them on sale in the s/mkts here and they are very reasonably pried - on special offer a.t.mo.

Something attractive to order from China

Not!
:face_with_peeking_eye:

Yuk… doesn’t appeal to me…
But… yes to a big hat… and yes (possibly) to lightweight UV protective clothing…

I’m using a “Parasol” at the moment (OK it does look like an umbrella . :wink: ) and it works well.

1 Like

Not a lot of sécheresse in the Morvan forecast for next week

1 Like

This map appeared in the Connexion yesterday, and confirmed my suspicions that we’d accidentally chosen to settle in a good part of the Midi in terms of global warming and rising temps. The Aveyron (that pale pink splodge near the bottom - so to speak) appears to be a southern island of cool (would’ve loved that phrase about fifty years ago!). In fact it appears to be the coolest place south of the Massif Central. Not bragging, nor complaining - it’s just pretty cool - man! :wink:

Addendum: A few minutes after writing the above (outside on the terrace) changed a Hawaiian shirt for an Arran Isles fisherman’s sweater!

2 Likes

That hasn’t passed me by. :stuck_out_tongue:

I live in SW Dordogne and had a long sleeved t shirt plus a sweatshirt on today, also jeans and cosy socks…

2 Likes

I was thrilled to actually feel chilly :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Think I may have just about acclimatized, but it’s been baking. Fortunately on some days there has been a light breeze so having windows open at the front and back of house has helped! Meanwhile, keep looking at the canigou weather to see when appropriate to go and amazes me to see the difference - almost another world!

Not sure what this map is supposed to show? No way has our bit of Lot et Garonne been anything like 41.5 - it’s remained delightfully in the upper 20s and dipped wonderfully at night to the teens - I’ve been out strimming this morning wearing a sweater. If summer was always like this here I’d be thrilled.

Feeling like a move to Lot et Garonne :grin: After experiencing the recent heat it does make me wonder what the future holds, with climate change! And importantly, what adaptations I can do to the house to better manage the heat. What a shame we can’t somehow store the Summer heat for Winter.

This year’s been exceptional - last few early summers (surprisingly June) temperatures have reached upper 30s.

It’s a map of highest recorded temperatures, not current ones.

1 Like

My daughter is finding the PO balmy after Texas even though its mid 30’s here. She is buying lots of summer clothes in the sales to take back. Still not even a teardrop of rain here even though forecast last night.

I climbed the Pic d’Aneto in the middle of July and came out of the refuge (starting point) into a thickish snowfall and then the temperature dropped. It had been hot on the plain in France and was roasting in Aragon.

Edited because my tablet saw fit to change ‘had’ to ‘has’, so officious :roll_eyes:

Yes always amazes me how different the weather can be in the mountains, and also how very quickly it can change from brilliant sunshine to storm - scary if unprepared! Learnt the hard way from past experience, so now swung the other way probably and over prepared :grin:

1 Like

I’m smiling as we all discuss the official figures… and then what we are all actually receiving…

Our village is obviously on another planet. Air temps are in the late 30’s early 40’s once :wink: and shade temps are 30’s to high 30’s… yet Meteo announces figures well below…
It’s not just my thermom either… neighbours are muttering similarly…

However, by judicious opening shutters & windows at night and closing by day, the house has only once topped out at 24c and, on that day, you couldn’t stick your nose outdoors without it being burnt to a crisp… :wink:

This year, we’ve had no need of fans either… not so far… :crossed_fingers: quite happy to potter in the standard 21/23c.
and the leccy oven is rarely used…
which should all be a saving on the bill… phew

glad to say the last couple of days have started chilly… hurrah

and… re Drought… the potplants are happy with cooled water from boiled potatoes (about the only cooking I’m game for at the moment…)

2 Likes