Ducks in a row (travel to France sometime again soon)

Friends just got back and said test before leaving framce for UK was the code they used on passenger location form. They did not do a day 2 test and were called so they said they had but gave no code. The test boxes were piled up around their local special post box most would have long gone past their date?

In other words, a complete shambles ?

Like this, you mean?

Randox have had problems - presumably because of the numbers trying to get away suddenly shot up when the testing/quarantine regulations relaxed for those who are fully vaccinated. Not sure what the situation is at the moment.

But if all the stacked tests were collected when the box was visited I donā€™t see why theyā€™d go out of date.

What could possibly go wrong with a system like that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I despair at the UK sometimes.

I see Randox make the following statement on their website:
ā€œFor samples returned via Randox drop box, we aim to provide next day results up to 11.59pm.ā€

How long does a RNA swab sample remain a viable specimen for analysis - well, that pretty much depends on the conditions in which the sample is kept up to the point at which the RNA is extracted.

I donā€™t know how these are packaged - presumably/hopefully, some kind of heat insulating material around the sample ?

You must be joking. Standard clinical sample packaging, tube goes in sealed bag, that goes in the box, that goes in a further envelope. Good protection against leakage, not so much against heat.

Now day 4 or 5 since we arrived back in the UK - and still no sign of the day 2 tests that were bought and paid for. Absolute joke!

Not that I care either way other than being conned out of Ā£50 - which I intend to pursue!

I wonder if I can re-use the same codes on the next PLF the next time we have to return to the UK???

BTW - No-one has tried to contact us eitherā€¦

1 Like

Its a bleeding joke!
So on your passenger locator for did you enter the code for the test before you left France?

Yep - Had to for the PLF to be accepted. The day 2 tests had to be bought before we returned and the proof that they had been bought was the code given on the receipt.

If this caper is still needed come Christmas I will try re-using the codes again before having to buy yet more testsā€¦

1 Like

Think it must be all dependant on which two day test company you use, wife used Nationwide Pathology Ltd. nwp-online.co.uk
Very efficient and even have a telephone helpline listed. Cost Ā£40

Timing of delivery being essential for these products, I think at this point I would call my card company to have the purchase charged back. Call (if you can contact anyone which is often not the case) or email the company to inform that since they have not fulfilled the contract with timely delivery being essential, you are doing a chargeback.

Obvs if you succeed in contacting them and they immediately provide a refund, you wonā€™t have to do a chargeback. But people are charging back because the companies are not contactable, not responding or have not provided prompt refunds on the few occasions they have been able to be contacted.

If the test now arrives just send it back unopened
(ideally get a certificate of posting to prove you sent it just in case, as certificate of posting is free).

PS for your actual test, call NHS om 119, explain your purchased test has not arrived and they will send you a free one (CYA unless you have one of the free NHS ones already to hand you can use instead).

Due to a misunderstanding I realise that my wife didnā€™t pack the car registration document for our trip to France. She organises all the paperwork but looks like I didnā€™t tell her about said document. Last few days before we departed for France were a bit fraught.
Iā€™m wondering if I can get Swansea to send me an electronic copy. Has anyone been down this path. I see Gendarmes were pulling people over this afternoon.

Pretty certain you can only get a duplicate paper one sent to the registered keeperā€™s address within 6 weeks.

But you can apply online :crazy_face:

I always keep copies of such documents on my phone.

And, yes, I too have forgotten the car or motorhome documents on a few occasions - luckily, not been called upon to produce them!

I remembered I had to send copies of the V5 to apply for the Crit Air sticker so I have them on my laptop. Can I get things printed at a library here in France? If not Iā€™ll ask the Gite owner.

Answered my own question - looks like I can print at the local library which appears to be open a couple of hours tomorrow.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t seen anyone else post this news : From 4th October arrivals in the UK do not need a test before travelling from France / any country that is not Red.

The Day 2 test after arrival in the UK is still needed, still has to be pre-ordered before entering the UK. As its reference number has to be entered on the Passenger Locator Form as proof.

The bad news is the above is if youā€™re double vaccinated. If not, seems quarantine is required.

1 Like

Somewhat vague on under -18ā€™s, though they donā€™t have to isolate at the moment.

Is this UK or is it England? I thought I read that Wales and Scotland havenā€™t decided yet whether to follow suit.
I also thought I read that the Day 2 test no longer has to be a PCR test which could potentially represent a far greater saving if correct.

England.Sorry, London hubris

Yep can be a lateral flow.
Sadly didnt see France added to green list.
Amazing, well not really, any increase in restriction seems to come in from 4am the following morning, any relaxing however is weeks away.