Ducks in a row (travel to France sometime again soon)

The “amber” category is being abolished, so it will be green or red. Thus France will be green.

I would expect UK to create a special category for France of Green Plus, similar to Green but requires more tests and quarantine for no apparent reason.

6 Likes

Technically there will only be “the red list” AIUI.

From the end of October it will be a lateral flow test under the same conditions as the previous PCR test i.e. booked in advance to obtain the required code for the Passenger Locator Form. In fact, the only real change is the abolition of the pre-travel test in France.

As for LFT being cheaper - time will tell.

Do you still need a Day 8 test?

At the moment if coming from a green country or if vaccinated and coming from an amber country - no, otherwise yes.

After 4th Oct, no if vaccinated and not coming back from a red list country otherwise yes.

Red list still needs hotel quarantine as well.

1 Like

We’ve been here in France just under two weeks looking at places to settle in the south and currently in the Gers. It’s such a novelty to experience the loudest noise being birdsong. Being surrounded by neighbours in close proximity at home, there is always somebody doing a diy job or yappy dogs barking. There’s not a lot going on here but the tranquility is very appealing and we’ve warmed to Mirande. Auch seemed pleasant today even in the rain but not much to do. We were told there’s entertainment to be found in Pau and of course in Toulouse. We need to have a look around the former. Ariege was stunning but we thought it lacked sizeable attractive prosperous towns to visit for an evening out. Foix was very pleasant though.
Figeac was possibly our favourite town visited and surrounded by very pleasant countryside. Property a little more expensive though. We like the way people always say ‘bonjour’, ‘bonne journée’ etc and all our interactions have been positive. We’ve been surprised by how green it is everywhere and driving is so easy compared to back home - especially when we venture outside of Shropshire. Trying to find that balance where we can enjoy p&q and not feel isolated or bored from lack of cultural offerings is the thing.

3 Likes

Made a visit to Pau today. We were promised some sun but sadly it failed to materialise and we could only just make out the mountains from the town. It was good to see a place where we could enjoy food from Thailand, India and so on and with good music offerings. We had some fun hunting down a car parking space. We tried one of the underground car parks but decided a car roughly 75% of normal width was desirable to be able to actually get in and out and abandoned that idea. Pity the funicular was out of action for maintenance. It looked fun.
The only downside was the drive over there from Mirande on N and D roads. Silly 80kph speed restrictions in many places with locals pushing us on with the benefit of local knowledge. The speed limits seem quite arbitary with a drop to 70kph for a slight bend and then 80k for much tighter bends. Pity people can’t all be sensible and drive at a speed fit for the roads to avoid overly strict controls.

We arrived back in blighty Sunday after a very pleasant and interesting tour around the midi-pyrenees. We soon discovered how hopeless our French was despite daily studies online. I will be phoning a local education and arts centre about lessons tomorrow. Covid previously stopped us from being able to practice communicating with others in a classroom situation.
We’re still unsure about where we might settle or at least try an extended rental but somewhere in easy reach of Figeac is a possibility. The serenity of the Gers was very appealing but we suspect boredom would set in. I wonder how many SF members found they were / are too isolated.

1 Like

So true!

Help! Passenger locator form says proof of vaccination must include full name and date of both doses. My paper certificate just shows my maiden name and date of last vaccination. Should I get an antigen test just in case or does QR code contain more info? I’ve tried reading it and it only confirms name, date of birth and says it’s valid

Anyone got current recommendations for lateral flow suppliers (recent experience best).

Expert medical £28 were fine and all worked as it should

What’s the process? - do they need photos of ID etc (which is putting me off some of the lateral flow test kits).

From memory it was passport info no pictures and NHS number. Also travel details.
Contact via their web site, we did it 5 days before returning and booked delivery for the day after we returned. Parcel sent via DPD and we had to alter the delivery as they would delivered before we got home, this was easy on DPD delivery notice.

OK, willing to give it a go - lets see if it works as well for us as it did for you :slight_smile:

Simplytestme £12 is coming up as a recommendation a lot for Day 2 on a site I keep in touch with daily

1 Like

We recently visited Gdansk and waited to see what was on offer when the LF day 2 tests came online. I discovered that we would have to video ourselves swabbing throat and nose. I can’t bear having a swab touch my throat and the the thought of videoing the process wasn’t great so I decided to pay for the pcr test. It only requires a swab of one area. When we were returning from France in September we had a LF test at a pharmacy and only a nose swab was required.

At Gdansk Airport a family missed their flight to the UK as they couldn’t provide the locator forms. It’s vital to get the paperwork right.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind the video, as I would be heard saying “Boris you #@€€&#!”

1 Like

So, where are we at, presently?

AIUI one still needs a “compelling reason” to travel to France from the UK but no other country is similarly restricted?

There has been a slight easing in that business visits which cannot be postponed have been added to the list but that is all.

With France reporting some 300k cases or so per day there can be no justification on the grounds of keeping Omicron out of France. Much as it pains me to say it (being Francophile as I am sure most on SF are) this is just taking the piss, and now simply HAS to be political.

Are there any hints of changes on the horizon - presently hoping to get over mid Feb but this is starting to be questionable as it’s less than 6 weeks away.