Ducks in a row (travel to France sometime again soon)

I think its very kind of Mr Macron to care so much for us UK citizens by not sharing the huge plague numbers he has in his country. I will be happy to travel when France gets its numbers down. :wink::relaxed:

Itā€™s not a pissing contest here, neither country is exactly doing well Covid wise at the momentum are they.

Oh contraire, multi millions with omicron, very low and short duration hospitalisations and death rates, good immune levels going forward so thats very good.

Yes everything is just wonderfull :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
The number of deaths has begun to rise, with the total of 1,271 in the past seven days up 38.3% on the previous week.

I believe that at the next health committee meeting the lifting of UK travel restrictions will be announced.

Timescale?

I had an email from Britanny Ferries telling me their most flexible tickets are available to buy at the standard price until the end of Feb. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already.

This is an area where BF now charge extra for flexibility they used to include more-or-less for free (if you amended the booking via the website). Itā€™s also annoying as I had to fork out the extra if I wanted the extra flexibility** when I bought the tickets for the (aborted) trip last week as I booked it mid-December (just before the drawbridge was pulled up).

** I did, having been bitten by buying the ā€œstandard flexibilityā€ ticket last year. Just as well, as it turned out.

Today UK not so good unfortunately.
ā€œThere were 379 new deaths within 28 days of a positive test for coronavirus reported on 11 January 2022, and 1,660 people in the last 7 days. This shows an increase of 742 compared to the previous 7 days.ā€

From data at the start of covid, it was evident that a number of people die everyday from all sorts of causes. Mask wearing and isolation measures together with barely any flu means less people dying so they often live on and die later. The large number of deaths during the 1st and 2nd waves was from insufficient numbers of vaccinated people as vaccines hadnt been developed.
Deaths announced does not always mean from covid but often with covid but as a result of co morbidity.
Most of the omicron variant hospital admissions were for other reasons and on arrival the test found the patient to have omicron.

More data is needed to ascertain of what they died from or just the numbers that actually died from covid.

1 Like

Double edged sword, you cannot say they did or didnā€™t die from covid though, the same as you canā€™t say whether the would have died from the flu, or some other illnesses.
I can say of the 10 people I have known to have died while having covid, only 3 had any form of illnesses before hand and 3 died before their 50th birthdays and one at 38.

Exactly, one canā€™t say either way without information.
The loss of 10 people is pretty shocking was this from the earlier variants as now we have omicron taking over deaths seem to be lower?

My friends in Spain who are both pretty bad asthmatics and live 2kmā€™s from closest neighbours on the side of a deserted hill kept away from everyone shopping about every 14 days and under the Spanish rules of mask wearing caught omicron and were both really worried, I kept saying Donā€™t Panic! passed them several bits of information and they got over it and back to normal in 4&5 days respectively.

Good for them :sunglasses: unfortunately others arenā€™t so lucky.

They needed data to work that out???

Back to my previous comment about when your people died, 1st or 2nd wave variant rather than omicron?

No but the public did!
If only our cheerful news broadcasts stated how many died from cancer, heart attacks, strokes, Alzheimerā€™s, dementia, falls etc then people would have established a balanced opinion rather than being fed a diet of covid only. Not denegrating how serious covid was at the start and certainly until the vast people received vacvinations.

Most with Delta but the last with Eddie was omicron.

1 Like

Eddie really was unlucky. I know a lot of people with/had omicron both family and friends it must be 12 at least and all got through it easily which must make Eddies passing even harder to understand.

Which is why I am saying even if you were to saying 50% had Corona but actually died from something else, itā€™s still 800 people a week and rising, thatā€™s a lot of unlucky people isnā€™t it.
I know we have all got to die of something but telling loved ones that they were just unlucky and the best way is to not panic and go out and get a dose of Corona because chances are you will be ok, isnā€™t going to go down or sit well, is it

Iā€™m wondering if folk are forgetting that one effect of Covid (whatever form) is that if hospital-care is neededā€¦ this can put the kybosh on other folk without-covid seeking hospital care ā€¦ since covid (whatever form) needs to be isolated from the general patients.

thus covid in hospital, whether weak or fatalā€¦ can have important ramifications elsewhere

1 Like