Ducks in a row (travel to France sometime again soon)

If Thomas only becomes a resident officially this year, he won’t need to do a tax return until next year will he? (I may have missed something however :smiley: )

1 Like

For income tax yes, his first return will be in May 2022. But he will need to deal with the local taxes this year, and make sure they have his details right.

Oh yes - of course! It’s been a second home for a while though? So local taxes ought to be ok now but a VERY good idea to meet the Maire - I deeply regret not doing so as a number of the people in the mairie still believe that my home is only a holiday one…

I have already arranged to see the Maire in July, they have invited me to an RDV with them, so I should be able to sort out local taxes at that time. I have inquired about my S1 in the UK and have been assured that I will get that in September so I can then register into the medical system. I will at the same time register for my fiscal number? and enter the French tax system (hopefully).

When you get to that stage, Thomas, we can talk you through it! Just concentrate on getting here first :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

As Angela says, there is a tremendous amount of expertise and invaluable advice on this forum. There are experts on CdS, Tax, Health issues. Do not be afraid to ask.

My only advice, from personal experience, is do your research before you come, get your ducks in a row, and all will end well, given time .

Good luck

Andy

2 Likes

Hopefully it will be easy. As Graham Lees mentioned, there are no current valid reasons on the attestation forms but I know some are citing a visit to a holiday home as a return to their main residence - naughty but not easily detected and as you are presumably moving from a much lower risk zone to a higher one not as irresponsible as some might suggest.

But the holiday you mention is end May and the current mini-lockdown rules will have ended long before then. The government is determined to open things up cautiously if they possibly can and unless things take a dramatic turn for the worst it seems that by end of May things will be starting to return to normal. RIght now (today) they seem to think they are at a turning point, but of course predicting these things is a mugs game. However, I would say the odds at the moment are in favour of you being able to travel with few restrictions and without need of an attestation.

We all can hope, but not a lot of changes in infection rates at the moment

I’m not sure I’d exactly describe it as a holiday, but at present I’m inclined to agree, I can’t make concrete preparations or even decide if the visit is feasible until the beginning of May. On the one hand that’s only two weeks away but on the other it leaves me less time than I’d like to sort everything out and, if it is clear I need to postpone again my employer might give me grief about changing my holiday plans with less than six weeks notice as might Brittany Ferries.

The swine!

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:

:grin:
You made a pig’s ear of that :yum:

1 Like

after eating it, did it give you the trots?

No but there was a crackling sound

Were you doing this on the hoof or was there a tail to tell, I will leave it at that or I will be in for the chop.

for telling porkies perhaps?

Paul, how have you come to the conclusion that the French Vaccination Programme is a success? Frankly it is an absolute shambles. I’m 74 and am unable to get an appointment for Le Jab and most of my friends are in the same boat. I go onto the health care web site trying to book an appointment but after a couple of hours I give up. Vaccination statistics are pitifully low. The French Vaccination Programme is an absolute shambles.

The government seems determined to open up if they possibly can. Infection rates have pretty much stabilised but I agree, it is too soon to gauge whether that is a temporary pause or a sign of a peak. Fingers crossed it is the latter but the political pressure to open up seems irresistable either way.

One of the local distributors of the vaccine here has described it as a pathetic shambles, he cannot get enough to do the local hospital appointments never mind the doctors and pharmacies, they are still trying to work through the over 70’s never mind anyone else.
My FIL is 86 and still waiting, maybe the big cities are better but locally around here you have next to no chance if under 70.

that is because it is bacon