Ducks in a row (travel to France sometime again soon)

Yes, the whole “shrugs shoulders” approach comes from there being no sanctions if you break quarantine - as long as you have your attestation for your journey, and it is one of the valid reasons, there’s no one to say anything otherwise.
This came up in the press the other day as one of the less effective measures the government has failed to enforce.

From here:

Currently requires a “motif impérieux” to enter France, although it is somewhat vague as to where you can go once you arrive, other than to state that you are limited to 10km from your residence.

As the whole thing is somewhat of a moving target (recognized by that page), I imagine it will be updated if there is a change at the end of the current lockdown, i.e. from April 26th, or not, if things go really pear-shaped.

They seem to be pretty invisible at the moment, certainly around where we live, go to work.

Not from the UK (as well as a few other places outside the EU).

1 Like

UK is only requiring antigen /LAMP test for entry within the 72 hours before the official departure time of your plane/train/boat/duck etc to the UK.

Results on the spot within 20-30min is usual and it will cost you around 35 euros. You may have to pre- book a slot at the best time for you. I did mine at a pharmacy in the port town just before leaving.

Watch the British rules carefully for changes. Currently you will not be allowed to board for your return without Passenger Locator Form on paper or phone. Plus you have to have pre-ordered a pack of 2 PCR tests to be done at your address in the UK on Days 2 & 8 following your return. The pack started off costing an outrageous £200-£220 btw you can only have it sent to your address in the UK by one of the listed suppliers.

Enquiring minds might ask why this government-mandated cost per PCR test is more than 2x the going rate in any comparable country in Europe.

7 days after arriving in France you are obliged to do a PCR test. This will cost around 55 euros. Doctolib app is one option that will connect you with locations and available appointments. If you are rural then I would arrange this as fae ahead as possible as few options available rurally. You must sign an attestation that you will do this on paper and present it when entering.

Note my info comes from when I had to do all this for an emergency trip back to UK at end of February.

One thing in particular - only travel to and from train and plane is allowed during curfew. As boat/ferry is not mentioned I only travelled during the allowed daylight hours. You need to take a different path through the attestation process depending on whether your are doing a >10km journey by day or whether you are travelling in curfew. The allowed list of reasons is now much shorter for curfew travel as basically they don’t want private cars circulating.

With luck things will have become a bit less restrictive when you travel.

I thought UK specified a PCR test - hauliers might be different, I’ll double check.

OK, that’s not well explained on the government site but that bit of the attestation now makes sense - however I will be leaving France on the 7th day (arrive Sat, leave the following Sat) so not entirely sure how that’s going to work. Is there any flexibility, could I do that on day 6 and use the result for both the re-test requirement and return to the UK.

At present, yes.

If France gets “green” status when we know a) whether we can travel at all and b) which countries get what colour it will be just test before return.

To be honest though I’m expecting France to get amber, along with the rest of Europe - and only places like Aus/NZ put in green initially.

That won’t affect me on the way into France as I’ll arrive after lift of curfew in the morning, will be something to consider on the return.

Yes, I found that.

Whether we’ll need to do the D2 and D8 (or J2 and J8 if you prefer) test is one of the things to “keep an eye on”. As most UK tourists visit the EU and chances are all of the EU will be “amber” it quickly gets expensive for a family of 3 or 4 and the tourist industry is worried it will put everyone of travelling (which is, I suppose, what it is designed to do).

Remember the anger in UK at Xmas when France insisted on checks to enter France - such anger seems to have drifted away once UK did the same.

Back to that test after 7 days.

The French government website says:

I only translate that as “may be required”

Further down it goes on to say:

Which seems to cover the case where you can’t get tested before travel.

Has anyone got a link which clarifies the need for a test on the 7th day.

@digitracker house move is one of the exceptions for >10km. It’s for sure on the day travel list “demenagement”. It is not on the list of valid reasons for travel during curfew. I will post the link for the latest attestation form on next post (it prompts you after filling out a few fields if it’s been updated).

here is link to current attestation derogation form

In past week or two in that changed. UK, US, Australia, NZ and, I think, possibly Canada or Singapore originating travellers do not have to be travelling to France for an exempt reason any more

You do have to fill out the forms though and have done any attestation forms needed for being out and about during the current lockdown. List of acceptable reasons for being out and about during curfew is now much shorter. Carry an item proving French address if applicable.

You are always allowed to travel to your home (ie main residence). So if you have documents showing this then there is no problem. Have you contacted the local tax office to change it from a maison secondaire to a principal reaidence?

This seems to be the current English version of the attestation internationale. You click on the right hand one of the 3 options in the blue box Certificate of international travel / L'actu du Ministère / Actualités - Ministère de l'Intérieur

Thomas, on the current attestation form is Option 11 - Movement relating to a change of domicile and necessary displacement for the acquisition of a residence principal.

Would that suit your needs?

Thanks Karen, Thats a great help to me, I will use your link once I have booked my ferry. I will have a copy of my deeds to show the gendarmes if needed.

Hi Jane, I am going to sort my taxes out in July when I get to France, since I bought the house we have been in perpetual lockdown so havent been able to go to the local tax office to register for taxes and I dont think it can be done online. I have been in touch with the maire and have arranged an RDV with them and they were ok .

Cheers Brian thats sounds bang on for my needs, I can actually see light at the end of the tunnel.

It sounds as though it is exactly what Thomas needs.

So, some of the points seem to be addressed by this page. It’s not quite in line with some of the other references but it might be the best and it was updated yesterday.

It confirms the need to:

If entering from the UK

There’s also this which is not really all that clear

Interestingly this page mentions “Transit travel related to long distance journeys” - I think this is for journeys crossing France - which probably does not help - but it it is not in the attestation de déplacement which is online.

Oh well, I think I need to wait until the lockdown lifts, hopefully May 1st but that gives me a lot less time to sort everything out or rebook the ferry if needed.

We registered online to do our first taxes last year without a problem we just emailed the local tax office.