Earth moving, not what you think

I posted a few times about my fosse.
Spanc came out on Friday to meet with our company. The head guy himself, he said we can take our time to sort the fosse as it poses no health risks( ironic isn’t it).
The problem we face is because we have calcaire, digging out a sand filter 25m2 means about 40 tons of earth.
The problem is access , a lorry can’t get to the part of the garden involved. Behind us though is a farmer’s field. Does anyone have experience of getting permission to put a big lorry onto a field and partially removing the hedge (which we would restore).
The other alternative is a compact filter which reduces the digging but is more expensive and means we will have the original tank concreted over.
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Would the farmer allow you to spread the dirt in the field or elsewhere on their land?

That’s a good point. I’ll try and find out , thanks.

We were lucky, we have our own field.
We have just had to pay for work to include part of our plumbing to go into our new fosse.
The macon we used to work on our renovations eight years ago poured concrete before the pipe work was joined onto the new system.
He new very well what was wanted because our architect told him, it was just more convenient for him.

1 Like

What’s in the field? As farmer may be perfectly amenable as long as it fits what he/she’s doing with the field. So if it gets wet in winter then may not like it as could damage the soil, if there’s a crop on it then you will have to avoid whole growing period etc etc.

As much of the arisings will come from a lower soil profile the farmer may not want it anywhere near his field as won’t be soil but rocky spoil. However, company doing the digging for you may well know someone’s who’s looking for some.

Make sure also the hedge is not a protected hedge.

Hi Teresa

Your situation (or similar) is all too common in France. A word with the Farmer might well provide the answer to your difficulties of access.

The workman/lorry driver and you… could liaise with the farmer to ensure least disruption to crop-planning, possible disposal etc … I would think you could work things out amicably all round.

So… best foot forward… and have a word… :relaxed:

1 Like

Well luckily we have time on our side to plan the best course of action for all concerned with regard to crops etc. Although the last 2 years it’s just been hay.

That’s a crop. And with the price of hay going up it can be a valuable one. But does leave lots of times when it would be possible to bring machinery on to the lamd.

1 Like