Eating and losing weight

In the 25 years since I permanently wrecked my back, I’ve slowly and steadily gained weight. I’ve had small interludes where I crash dieted and lost a stone then gained it again almost overnight. Because my legs won’t work properly, most of my weight has deposited itself on my hips thighs and knees, so much so. that my lower half would make a sumo wrestler seriously consider a thousand calorie a day diet. I’m not saying the rest of me is slim. Oh no! But the general effect is that of a stubby candle placed in the middle of a birthday cake. Up until now I’ve always obeyed the doctors and dieticians and followed a calorie controlled diet and cut my fat intake drastically. Last month another forum I belong to, started a diet challenge. I joined but refused to weigh myself. I know what I look like, I don’t need to rub it in by standing on the scales as well. Well after about a week, one chap had lost over ten pounds. When asked what diet he was on, he said he wasn’t he’d just cut out carbs and ate as much as he wanted of everything else. All veteran dieters know that the first week of a strict diet is very satisfying and you are almost bound to lose a load of pounds, mostly in water. That wasn’t the point. It was the fact that he’d scoffed away on everything else.

I was at the end of my tether and with my hips straining the tape measure at 60 inches and being just under five foot three, shopping for clothes was almost impossible For years I've tried to fit my needs with Niall's and he likes good solid home made cooking, he doesn't mind what it is as long as its fresh, meaty and starchy. I used to sit opposite him, watching him eat food I could only dream of, whilst I would be nibbling at this and that. No wonder I couldn't stay the course.

So then and there I stopped eating potatoes pasta bread and rice. I'm eating eggs, fish, vegetables, fruit and poultry. I have a big bowl of salad with my meals, which takes me ages to eat and I'm not hungry. Against all the dieticians advice I find that I don't need staple carbohydrates to keep me full up. I'm sure with the amount of fruit and salad I eat, I consume enough carbs any way. I can cook the same food for us both and just leave out the pasta and potatoes. Today I'm wearing a pair of slacks, that I couldn't even haul up at Christmas.

Another friend is showing great success on the Dukan diet and I've sent for the book, but to be honest, if it starts making too many demands, I'll amend it to what I'm doing now. For the first time in my life, I'm eating what I want. But I've spoken too soon many times before. Let's just hope eh?

I’m starting Dukan in earnest next week so will keep you updated! http://nikkersuk.blogspot.com/2010/06/starting-dukan-diet-in-earnest-eek.html

Jeni you’re doing fab :slight_smile:

I will. You too. OK I broke it tonight a weeny bit. We went out for dinner and while I ate fillet of sea bream and salad, I did have a fresh fruit salad afterwards. Before I would have filled up on bread, eaten potatoes and had a “real” pudding like Tarte Tatin or similar. I’m so full of myself it’s unbelievable. No depression, I move better and I’m sleeping like a log. Slow and steady weight loss will suit me, otherwise I’ll end up looking like badly folded laundry.

Empathising like mad, Jeni… and wishing you loads of luck!

I put on loads as well (that photo of mine was taken a few years ago when I didn’t mind people pointing a camera!) and then my best friend in London sent me a copy of this book: http://tinyurl.com/3x535w4

So I’m a fellow low carber. It was like an epiphany! It all made so much sense. Like you, I’ve cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes (never did eat cakes, bics or sweets) but I’m also avoiding fruits at the moment as well because of their high carb content. OK, I snitched a handful of cherries from my neighbour’s tree yesterday but two or three were enough! The amazing thing is that I don’t miss carbs at all and my brain feels much clearer as well. I did a bit of googling and carbs/starches/gluten are absolute rotters! The best thing is that, without really trying, and eating masses, I have lost 8 kilos in 4 months. Not the most rapid weight loss in the world but it’ll do for me. Now to start on the exercises… !

Stick with it, Jeni!

I’ll let you know. If not, then it will just have to be the Jeni diet. :slight_smile:

Good luck and keep us posted. I’ve got a friend doing the Dukan diet - she says it is working but it seems a bit of a pain to me?