EHIC card and NHS 'cover'

We applied for our post Brexit EHICs following the helpful post by @Stella but nothing received yet so we decided to investigate further.
A post by Simon Armstrong (gawd bless 'im) in another place was quite helpful.
It was suggested that code gestion 70 on the CPAM attestation denotes that you are affiliated to CPAM via the S1. Ours were 89 and 12 which flagged a possible issue which we raised with ameli who confirmed that our S1’s are not registered with CPAM.
We kept copies of them so after telephoning the ameli English helpline, we were advised to send the S1’s to our caisse since RAM did not, seemingly, action them when sent in 2016.
We were able to do this by going into the ameli site and found a link allowing the documents to be uploaded (to Charente CPAM). Belt and braces, we have also popped them in the post with a short covering letter.
We shall apply again for the EHICs in a short while (no desparate need for them in the current situation, of course).

1 Like

Thanks Jane,

as we aren’t married my wife has to apply for her own. This she has now done and her S1 is on its way and has applied for her UK EHIC.

My UK EHIC turned up about a week ago, it took about 8 weeks from when I applied for it.

There’s a great Scottish expression for not being married mais tout comme, you are each other’s bidie-in

1 Like

Veronique,

I think that the French use of concubinage has a more exotic ring to it.

Strangely never come across bidie-in even among my Scottish relatives (I’m a quarter Scot).

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

Est-ce qu’un concubin est un Latino un peu bête, fan de mojitos? (JOKE)

1 Like

Grahame J PigneyGrahame

JJones

9h

Thanks Jane,

as we aren’t married my wife has to apply for her own. This she has now done and her S1 is on its way and has applied for her UK EHIC.

Yes, quite agree, more exotic! But surely one can still have concubines ou un concubin when married even after Brexit, but not on one’s EHIC. :wink:

Depends whether your partner finds out ;¬)

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

1 Like

UK nationals who no longer live in the UK

Because the NHS is a residency-based system, under NHS rules UK nationals who move abroad on a permanent basis lose their entitlement to free NHS healthcare.

UK nationals living and working in EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland on or before 31 December 2020 and their family members may be eligible to use NHS services without charge. You may be asked to provide evidence of your residency. Please check with the authorities in the member state in which you reside for further information.

If you are a UK national and move to the EU, you should not expect to be able to use NHS services for free when visiting the UK unless you have an EHIC, PRC or S2 to show your healthcare costs are funded by the EU country in which you now live, or another exemption applies.

You should take out appropriate travel insurance when visiting the UK, as you would when visiting any other country. Any treatment you may have to pay for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.

Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK war pensioners, UK government employees, and UK nationals living in the EU on or before 31 December 2020.

You should check before travelling to the UK whether you qualify for an exemption from charging or will be required to pay for your treatment.

Interesting reading from latest UK government on healthcare (see penultimate paragraph). It seems that those of us who have lived here pre 2021 get free NHS treatment when visiting UK. Is it that simple?

On the face of it yes… but it does say to check before travelling. Presumably it means that those of us resident in France, who had the entitlement before Brexit, have retained it.

I find it confusing as I had understood that no-one was exempt pre 31/12/20 unless in one of the special categories. So have all the people who previously weren’t eligible for free NHS care suddenly become eligible?

Everything is confusing at the moment… so many ways of reading/understanding the same words…

But the majority of UK folk already Resident in France do not need to worry… according to what the UK gov says. If they were entitled before, chances are they are entitled now.

Frankly, if someone’s Residence situation is “in flux/uncertain” and they have a genuine concern that they will “no longer” be able to receive Free health stuff when visiting UK… they can check their situation … as it suggests.

In my opinion, (and certainly with anything to do with the government), it can be a mistake to home in on just one part/paragraph and pick it to pieces/worry about it … rather than read the whole document/page and get the full picture.

this is a link to just one page… there are loads of other pages to trawl through, depending on the individual’s situation…

This one is quite good too:

1 Like

I may have already posted my story regarding getting a new EHIC card from Newcastle, as a resident of France.

Been here 15 years as resident.
Had 2 or 3 EHIC cards during that period.
Last one ran out mid 2020.
Applied for new one November 2020.
Refused.
Eventually found out reason:
‘‘S1 was de-registered sometime between 2012 and 2019 (phone call to Newcastle, helpful but inconclusive)’’.

This de-registration seemed to be linked to a letter from NHS Business Services Authority in Sept. 2019 (WHF are they - NHS quango #187?). Everyone had one. It was 2 sides A4 and was headed ‘Your healthcare after Brexit’.

My letter said ‘… We are writing to you because our records show you live in Finland and as an S1 form holder Brexit may affect your access to healthcare’…

It went on to mention Finland 3 more times.

My wife’s letter said France throughout.

I put my letter down to a glitch and simply filed it. I seem to recall that I saw mention of this error happening to other people.

Anyway, Newcastle say they cannot re-register me. They just say they can’t.

So they have sent me my S1 - 2 copies - and asked me to go to my Health provider to put it through the system again, eventually ending up at Newcastle, when they will register me.

I am not happy at this.

Having had considerable experience of how it works here, I would expect considerable hassle if I go to CPAM and present them with this S1. At worse, I could find my healthcare costs become unfunded while the process goes on.

I have had absolutely no problems with my healthcare cover, so de-registering my S1 in Newcastle doesn’t seem to have stopped the french from claiming my health costs.

So I’m thinking best to just stay schtumm. No EHIC card, but then (and I’m touching wood) it is only of use IF you are ill or hurt in an EU country other than La France.

Comments welcome.

I got one of the NHS Business services things saying I was in Italy, Still got my EHIC card though so they can’t have deregistered me. All seems a bit random at the Newcastle end, doesn’t it?

Thanks, Angela. I am wondering why the French still give me full healthcare if I’m de-registered. But then, knowing how useless the UK have been at claiming back EU nationals’ health costs when using the NHS I suppose I shouldn’t wonder. It’s not that I’ve slipped through the net, it’s rather that there is no net.

I suspect that, from CPAM’s point of view, you are registered so they will be claiming. I imagine the dots aren’t being joined up at the UK end (and long may that last in your case :smiley: )

Newcastle are having a brain storm!
OH received this email yesterday. Note the dates. :slight_smile:

"Thank you for your application for a new UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Your application has been successful.

Your new EHIC will be issued before 31 December 2020. Prior to 1 January 2021, you can continue to use your current EHIC (if you have one) when visiting any country within the EEA or Switzerland, other than the country in which you live and the UK.

You will be able to use your new card as soon as you get it, for travel before the end of 2020 and from 1 January 2021.

From 1 January 2021, you will continue to access healthcare in your country of residence using your S1 entitlement. However, you should use your new EHIC when visiting any other country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. This will provide you with access to medically necessary, state-funded healthcare at the same rate as a resident of that country.

To use your EHIC, you will need to present it to the treatment facility you are attending. Please note, as now, you may be required to pay a patient contribution depending on the country you are receiving treatment in.

If you have not received your new EHIC by 31 December 2020, you can contact us on +44 (0)191 218 1999 and speak to Overseas Healthcare Services for further advice."

It’s exactly the same text as I received way back when…they haven’t updated their automatic replies!

1 Like

Same as the one I got when I applied for my EHIC back in February 2020. Never used it of course and now it’s obsolete. That was a waste of time!
Izzy x

Confused! I thought you are in UK?