EHIC Card issue refusal

Prior to the S1 you were part of the French system and they issued your EHIC card but on the issuing of the S1 the UK has identified itself (rightly or wrongly) as your “competent state” therefore the EHIC card should be issued by them.

1 Like

Interesting comment in the link I attach below…

"A senior civil servant in the Department of Health told a select committee in 2017 that Spain charged an average of €3,500 per pensioner signed up to the S1, Ireland charged an average of €7,500 and the UK charged about €5,000.

In total, the government paid out about £500m – or £2,300 per pensioner – which he said was significantly lower than the cost of treating pensioners in the UK."

You’re a bargain Susan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank goodness France has said that we will retain our health rights for a further two years until a new bi lateral agreement is in place.
It is abso,utely shocking that our own government cares so little for our continuing health care.

4 Likes

Personally I don’t think the current system will change, why add another layer of expense unnecessarily. Oh, wait this is the UK. Best wait and see then.

I’m so glad this subject came up. Thank you Susan. We’ve been trying since early December to renew our EHIC’s before a trip to Blighty at Christmas and got the same message on the website. Sent in an email asking why it wasn’t accepting our request and got no response.

Anyway after reading your post and the replies the penny dropped! Yes we now have S1 forms since 2018 but hadn’t linked the connection between the EHIC and the change brought about by the S1 …

Da dahhh …

Rang up the number mentioned in one of the replies but got an automated voice which sent us full circle … no joy!

The number we DID ring and spoke to a non-robot by the name of Amanda this morning is: 44 191 279 0575.

We should get our new cards in two weeks.

I do hope you got yours sorted Susan and that your post is helpful to others.

Well done Carol

I suspect the telephone number is actually 00 44 191 279 0575

Update on my last post.

Still not arrived. Spent half an hour on the phone with a young man who went through all our details again … spelling the address, phone number, etc., etc.

Upshot of it all … our original application hasn’t been passed on. It takes 15 days to process then post to France. (“do you know how long the post takes to get from the UK to France?” he asked …)

I said we’re off to the UK next Tuesday then flying out to wherever …

So … no EHICs …

“Worse case scenario you ring us …” he said.

Well that certainly helps …!!!

1 Like

Stella? …if you have a moment to tell more…EHIC card, Carte vitale…what’s the difference? I got my Carte Vitale in 2003 and the EHIC …from France, Rennes, too about three years ago… Though it has UK printed on it and its all English. At least I think that’s how I got it…I know I asked the French cpam office…and when I lost it…oh gosh…I’ve got a letter from UK about it recently, saying I’m not on their ehic list…and telling me where to apply for one… If I knew what it was for…that could be useful… Just what is it for…would be good to know. I have googled it but don’t understand what it is…for.

The EHIC (or CEAM if a French one) is for when you travel outside France…

1 Like

Jeanette when we came here we had a French EHIC card issued by CPAM.
When the changes were made to how UK citzens in the French health system via an S1 were treated, our EHICS were then changed and issued by the UK.
What will happen if there is a no deal Brexit, will depend on negotiations between UK and France.

1 Like

Travel to where? Anywhere in Europe?

So its vital to have health cover, arranged before any break…especially if there’s no deal…even more especially… If you have not fixed a CDS…and thus have no access, to any… (except private.)… health care… .:smiley:. I think I’m getting the picture…
So watch out…people…you/we will be illegal, sans everything fixed properly!

Not post Brexit yet! It might never happen! Cant hope for France to support the Wobbly ideas put up by UK!!
Just stick to the rules for now, unless all Europe implodes…and of course it could do that, what a sad thing that would be…all the EU countries have EU laws to be called to account for!
Get stuck into your meditation/yoga/tai chi/ prayer/ raw fresh foods, and be patient etc etc…!??
People have been predicting the end of this or that world, forever…
I know…
Its very rough, sad, cruel for all with extra probs right now.